Wednesday, June 2, 2010

What was, isn't what is...

What happens when your blog stops being yours? I guess that's the question I'm asking myself lately. I guess that's why I have been hesitant to blog.

What once was an outlet for me. My own little place in the world to put my thoughts, my crazy antics, my life out there to complete strangers who won't judge, who really don't care because they don't know me. But now it's turned into something different. Everyone and their dog know about it. It wasn't a "secret" but I didn't throw it out there for anyone to catch either. So now I see my family, my friends, my husband... when I sit down to write. I wonder what they will think, will anyone be offended?

In my head I have come up with some funny shit, but no way will I write it knowing my husband's family may read it. Or worse, someone from his work. I hesitate to tell the stories of the crazy neighbors or friends, or aquaintences. I would hate to hurt someone's feelings. (Not that I would trash someone, but I know some things I have written have totally been taken the wrong way.)

So I'm stuck. I'm stuck at the crossroads of what to do. I love my blog, but I love what it WAS not what it's turned into. Anyone else feel this? Any advice?

7 comments:

M said...

I know several people who have started another blog after this has happened. Then this one is a "family" blog and your other is your writing outlet.

obladi oblada said...

I can relate, and I agree with M...a new writing outlet would be the way to go...infact, I may do this myself.

Nikki B. said...

i can totally relate sometimes. there are things that i cannot, and will not write about...like my mother!!! but, there are things that i maybe would've written about at some point in time, but, likke you said, can't help but picture all the IRL people who know me, who read my blog.

i don't want to do a separate blog. i'm really trying to just be what i am, who i am, and say what i think...and if people take offense to it, it really is on them, and not me. you cna't control what other people think, no more than you can control the moon in the sky!

so, i try to tell myself...fuh-get-about it, every time i get worked up about it!

HaroldM22 said...

The shortest answer is doing. ............................................................

A little bit of me said...

Girl, you are who you are and that is why we all love you so!

jineen said...

i even went so far as to make my blog private and lost some bloggy friends because of it. i choose not to sensor myself because quite frankly, i need to be me. I need to express myself and say what i have to say. maybe the family who is reading should wonder to themselves why you have to turn to your blog as an outlet, what are they doing wrong that you can't go to them? even still, as you get used to it, it becomes less scary to just let it all out

D said...

Heidi Heidi Heidi . . . write whatever the heck you want!!! I can take it!!! Really I can!!
Maybe you should just use a different e-mail account . . that's the ONLY way I found out about it . .yahoo ratted you out! damn internet social circle creators . . . damn them all!
this dilemma is why I rarely facebook anymore . . . now most my private thoughts stay private . . . until a girls day anyway!