Monday, April 19, 2010

Well fine, just grow up then.

I hate it! I hate it! I hate it!

When did my beautiful baby decide that it's not cool to be touched, talked to, or even in the same vacinity as her mother? At least in public. Friday we went to tour her new school. I thought maybe my baby would need some reassuring arm around the back, or a squeeze of the hand. But instead she slowly slinked away. Kinda made my heart break a little. My little girl doesn't need me like she use to. I can't protect her from the world, and she doesn't want me to. She stood tall, asked questions learned everything she needed to know about how to get around this whole new place. I sat there biting my nails and wanting to take my baby back home with me and away from all these strangers.

Today she got dressed all by herself without help or arguement for her first day of school. She was on time and rearing to go. She even double checked that I had all the registration paperwork I needed. When did she get so responsible too?

When walking into the building I heard her mumble, "It's so embarrassing walking in the school with your mom."

"Um, what was that little girl????? Did you say being seen with me was embarassing????" Ouch...another crack in my heart.

But....
I love it! I love it! I love it!

This means that my beautiful young lady is right where she should be. She's gaining her own identity. She's an independant, confident person and that makes me proud of her. She can handle herself and that means I am doing my job right. It makes me happy to see her come into her own, and I am lucky to be along for the ride.

So today we made a pact. I promise to not hug, touch or hold her hand in public, IF she promises to let me anytime I want to when we aren't in public. I think that's fair.

8 comments:

Danielle (Life with the Hewitt Family) said...

Sounds like a good pact for both of you. I hope she has a great first day at her new school!

I am already having a hard time when Carter doesn't need me...I am happy that he doesn't but a little piece of me wishes he still needed me like he used to. I know it is all part of growing up but darn it, I am just not ready! Time is going by way too quickly!

Kameron said...

That is heartbreaking but great at the same time. It is the reason I suck it up when my toddler asks me to sing him the same song for the 1 millionth time. I know someday he won't want me to sing to him any more. :o(

M said...

Oh yes, we have this pact as well. Is it bad that it makes me happy that her blankie is still hidden inside her pillowcase? Why is it SO HARD to let them go?

Burgh Baby said...

Aw, man. That's so bittersweet.

Carri said...

Thats an awesome pact. I have the same one thought unspoken with my daughter. It is so sad when you realize they have grown up and dont want the hugs and kisses and hand holding in public, at the same time it is amazing to know we have raised them right to feel this way. I just think about how as an adult I am OK with the kisses and hugs and such in public so hopefully one day my kids will be OK with it again too.

Tinika said...

I think that's a fair trade.

The Single Sassy Chick said...

I know how you feel. I do not have kids of my own but I helped raised my cousins when their mom died. All of a sudden they have grown up... and I was like how did you grow up so fast!

heidi said...

Totally fair. I think it's a good trade, for sure.