Wednesday, October 14, 2009

You first born perfectionist, I love you.

Have you ever thought about birth order and how it affects your personality? I am a believer. I went to a seminar at Heart at Home last year that featured Dr. Kevin Leman, who has written The Birth Order book.

Now this isn't a plug for him or anything, just thought it was interesting. But I totally think it's true. I am the third child in my family. The first two were born 4 minutes apart. Yeah, try living with twin sisters that are 3 years older.... Kevin should write a book about that! Anywhoo.... But I tent to just be the follower. The one who NEVER likes to make plans. The peacekeeper. And I totally pick first born friends. People to tell me where to go and what time to be there. I am getting so good at this I can now pick out if someone is first born after I get to know them for a while. Try it... first borns are the planners, the perfectionist, the responsible ones. You get to the younger siblings and you start to see the happy, carefree ones. The "go with the flow" kind of people.

But when you get 2 'younger siblings' together it's bad. You tend to drive around in the car for 30 minutes saying, "Where do you want to eat?" "I don't know, where do you want to eat?" You get a first born & a younger born in the car, the first born tells you where they want to go and where to turn to get there. I love you first borns. Without you, I would never figure out where to eat, or how to get there, or what time. Thank you for making my life easier. Keep doing what you're doing!

7 comments:

obladi oblada said...

LOVE this. Its true. Im the baby and I can never make up my mind where to go and then I have no idea how to get there!

mother goose said...

i am a first born. i am a perfectionist in many things but then in other things I could care less. However, when in a group of friends. I hate to be the decision maker on where to eat or what to get or what movie to see. Unless, of course, it is with my family, then of course, what I want is adamently known.

Danielle (Life with the Hewitt Family) said...

I am a beliver in this too. When I read The Birth Order book my family fit to a T with what was being explained. I am the first born but then was in the middle once my mom remarried. I have strong first born traits. My little sister is always asking me what she should do --- even about the silliest things like what I think she should order at a restaurant.

Mommy Daisy said...

I'm fascinated by birth order too. I am the first born of 3, and my parents are both first born. My husband is also first born of 3. And it's interesting how we're raising our first born.

Also, I like Dr. Leman. I've read a different book of his, and it was really good.

M said...

LOL...totally, totally true. My sister (middle child) just called this morning to ask me which work schedule she should pick for herself for this fall. I'm like, "Uh, I'M not the one working it..."

Paige said...

Too funny. I did a paper on birth order about 3 years ago and that was the book I enjoyed most. It really explained why my house is so crazy! I'm an only child. My husband has two older siblings, but they're quite a bit older and he's the only child born from his Mom's second marriage (so, sort of first born). My oldest son was from my first marriage (first born). I then had a daughter in my second marriage (1st born daughter) and my youngest is the first boy in my second marriage (could also be considered a first born). SO... short story... 5 first borns!

~~Mel~~ said...

Very interesting!

I definitely have some first born traits but not many...that probably has something to do with the fact that my mom had my brothers and I one right after the other...12 months between me and my brother and about 15 between the 2 boys.