Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Books are so much better than movies

Jodi Picoult... you slay me lady. Tears and wimpering....

I have never written a review for a book, althought I love my books. I love my classics such as Gone with the Wind, Little Women, Count of Monte Cristo. LOVE THEM! And then I dive into the short ones: 5 People You Meet in Heaven, Wednesday Letters, and The Last Lecture. I have been known to read murder mysteries and had a slight Ted Bundy phase. Somehow fascinated with this man. Scarriest was reading the book about the sorority house murders WHILE I was in my sorority house. Everything pretty much described the same layout we had... creepy. And if you know me for a second you would know what a big fat chicken I am, and doubt that I could even finish a book like that. So glad I wasn't around when he did all that. I totall would have fallen for the guys tricks and been a goner.

Anywho... so I read My Sister's Keeper. Whoaaaa! Blow me away man! I wanted to read the book before watching the movie. Books are SO MUCH BETTER than movies! What a powerful book with a suprise ending. WOW oh WOW... now I'm ready for the movie. So I can be one of those people to lean over and say, "that's not how it was in the book" and then pause it and explain the whole book to the person watching it with me, and then they get all pissed and tell me to shut up.... Yeah, I can't wait to watch the movie! Who wants to watch with me????

And now I'm off to read 19 Minutes. Anyone read it yet?

16 comments:

Heidi @ Tayterjaq's Rebels said...

I read that book too. I am nervous to see how the movie compares. The book was excellent!
I am also a huge Harry Potter book fan which results in none of my kids wanting to sit next to me during the movies to listen to me complain that it is waaaaaay different than the book.

Danielle (Life with the Hewitt Family) said...

Jodi Picoult is one of my favorite authors. I have read all of her books. My Sister's Keeper is my favorite - I still remember sitting on the couch bawling my eyes out while reading the last chapters.

19 Minutes is good too...it all seemed so real with all the crazy things that have happened in schools over the last several years.

M said...

Skip the movie...reread the book.

Really, though, the movie was just okay. I won't spoil it for ya!

Alicia said...

LOVE "My Sister's Keeper"! LOVED! IT!! Sobbed like a huge baby at the end and was totally taken by surprise. And I'm not talking about little tears quietly falling down my cheeks. I'm talking about hugging the kleenex box, shoulder-shaking, gasping for air sobs. My husband always thought I was crazy b/c I tend to get really involved in books & tv shows. Now he thinks I'm wierd AND crazy.

I tried reading 19 Minutes but couldn't get into it. I'm an impatient reader. If the book doesn't grab me by the first couple of chapters, then I'm out. But I did read "Vanishing Acts" by JP and I REALLY liked that one too.

Cascia said...

I haven't read that one yet, but it sounds like a great book.

Karen said...

My Sister's Keeper is what hooked me on Jodi Picoult. I love, love, love her books! But I haven't seen the movie, I'm scared they will ruin the story. Maybe I'll rent it someday.

.Keli. said...

We truly were separated at birth! I LOVE Jodi Picoult books! Have several on my shelves along with LOADS of others. I'm a huge book fan and can spend hours in the bookstore! So, pick me, pick me! I will meet you anywhere!

.Keli. said...

Oh and yes, I've read 19 Minutes...I really don't have alot to say other than it was just ok. : )

Michelle said...

I do the same thing when watching a movie if I read the book first "that's not how it happened" LOL I've read the book, but haven't seen the movie yet.

Carri said...

I have not read that yet, but I love 5 people you meet in heaven, tuesdays with morries and for one more day by Mitch Albom. I just bought The Time Traveloer's Wife and now must start reading it. I too want to read my Sister's Keeper though it sound amazing.

Kameron said...

I have tackled all but 1 Jodi Picoult book. When I find an author I like, I tend to read every book they wrote. I am skeptical of seeing the movie because i heard they COMPLETELY changed the ending, which is what made that book so good (and so madening)!

Cammie said...

she is my favorite author. I loved 19 minutes. In fact I love all of her books and Ive read them all but 2!

Alicia said...

Speaking of good books, and because I forgot to mention it yesterday.....Have you ever read "A Thousand Splendid Suns" by Khalid Husseini? AWESOME book!!!! I read it in 2 days. Just could not put it down.

Chelle said...

Nineteen Minutes haunted me. I think it's because I teach high school. One of my favorites from this author, though.

Heather said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Jodi Picoult. My Sister's Keeper was amazing, and so was 19 Minutes. Change of Heart was good, Vanishing Acts, The Pact, & the Tenth Circle were great too. Having a hard time making it through Picture Perfect, not as fast moving as the others. She is definitely one of my favorite authors...enjoy!!!!

heidi said...

Go read what Jodi says on her site about the movie, before you see it. It's right on the front page.

I love Jodi and have read everything by her. 19 Minutes was good. You'll like Handle with Care, I'm willing to bet. I didn't like Tenth Circle. Her older stuff is fab, too.