Thursday, August 6, 2009

Who are these kids in my house?

Uh, when did my kids grow up? I mean, was I sleeping, showering, facebooking? What happened? I wake up yesterday morning and my son starts speaking in long, thoughtful sentences. Things like, "Mommy, come downstairs and see my blue police car. It's cool." This is like, one day after, "MAAAAAAAAA, juice." He's just spitting them out.

And doing his own hair. Yeah, he sprays detangler, then combs, uses hair gel and tops it all off with some mousse. He is his father's child I swear.

And my daughter, what the hell happened there. She started this summer a shy, scared girl and is ending it a confident, outgoing kid. One that use to shy away when other kids would say hi, is now leaping up and saying hi to her friends at camp. The one that couldn't swim last week has now become an official fish in water. She is just lost her fear of life and is just being a kid. Something I have worried about for a long time.

They are playing together, reading books, getting dressed, they are just growing up way too fast, where was I when it was happening? I am ecstatic to see them both move to new phases, to be a part of them growing and maturing. But man do I just wanna hit that pause button. It just makes me realize how fast they will be walking out the door for college... or prison. You know, which ever one.

9 comments:

cfoxes said...

My 9th grader girl was just like yours. One day she is behind me hiding and crying, the next she is trying out for band and dance team! What is up with that?

~~Mel~~ said...

Can your son come and teach my 8 year old how to comb his hair??? Pretty please!

They grow up way too darn fast.

Punchkin Wear said...

I'll vote for college! They do grow up super fats, but it sounds like it is all good stuff that is going on with your kiddos so enjoy it!!

M said...

Prison? You must be talking about the second one...hehe.

Mara from Motherofalltrips said...

I've been writing about that too this week - it's crazy how quickly things change.

Heather said...

If you find the remote with the pause button, let me know!!! I need to slow down Aidan like RIGHT NOW. Seriously. Everytime I want the next phase to happen, I regret when it does! Darn vicious cycles. : )

Michelle said...

it is amazing how fast they grow up - you blink and they are doing things you didn't think they even knew how!

Melissa said...

Life is crazy like that! Isn't it funny how we want that independence for them, yet feel saddened when it happens?!!!

nicole said...

i need to remember this because i so want to fast forward to less dependent years!