Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Mom misses the point...

So my daughter has been asking me to make a robot for oh..... 3 months. I keep encouraging her and telling her about all the things we will get for the robot and how I will help. That was back in May. But the summer quickly swept me away with it's camps, beautiful sunny days, and lure of laziness. So with one week of summer left and a very persistent child, we started our LONG journey of making this robot happen.

We got duct tape, spray paint, boxes, a light bulb, and even a voice recorder. We got a half dozen books at the library about "How to make a Robot." About this time, my head began to spin. I am more a creative, "Let's paint a picture," kind of mom, but this is what she wants so I am trying.

We have our first meeting of the minds and it quickly becomes apparent that Mom has no earthly idea what she's doing. I couldn't fool her with enthusiasm any more. You could see the disappointment in her eyes. Part of it made me feel bad for not looking like that hero that use to be so easy to be. And part of me was sort of pissed to work so hard only to have this child upset. I had thought that maybe she was doing this robot to spend more time with me, but I am figuring out that she's serious about this thing and that I am seriously in trouble.

So the next day we plan on starting our robot. I have figured out how to make a light bulb work with foil and a battery, I am thinking I am hot stuff. But right about time for us to get started, the phone rings, and it's her friend asking her to come play. I can't say I wasn't relieved. This robot seems to be more of a pain to me. So another day goes by and we haven't started the robot.

As we are hanging out that evening we start talking about it. I wanted to kinda lower her expectations a little, because, you know, I suck at this. And the most amazing thing came out of this little girl's mouth that totally left me speechless. She said, "Mom, I'm making this robot to become famous because famous people have lots of money and I want to give it all to the poor people." Whoa! I didn't see that coming. This little girl amazes me everyday, but that one seems to take the cake. So I guess we will be working on this robot, but while we do it, I think we will talk about other ways to help people, because Mom's robot isn't winning any famous awards anytime soon.

11 comments:

Nicole said...

Aawwww, what a sweetie. Dont feel too bad mom, it's just a phase and it will pass. Just remind her that if she wants to be famous it has to be from something she does.....not mom!!!!

Paging Doctor Mommy said...

What an amazing thing to hear her say! You must have felt so very blessed right at that moment!

Hopefully the robot building will go better than you anticipate!

Danielle (Life with the Hewitt Family) said...

What a sweetheart. She is so caring and creative to think of a plan like that!

Patrice said...

Aww that is so sweet!! I wouldn't have the slightest clue how to make a robot either, even with books, so don't feel bad! I'm sure you all can figure out another way to help the poor people!

heidi said...

You get total points for trying. Making a robot? Oy!

Kameron said...

You'd think robot duty would fall under dad projects. Sheeze, if Natey ever wants to build anything I am pointing him in daddy's direction. Now science fair project, oh yeah, that's all me!

~~Mel~~ said...

I agree with the others...at least you are trying! Which is more than I can say...I leave the 'creative crafts' to the boyfriend...he and the boy made a car out of boxes last summer.

Sarah Dawn said...

I love the creativity and the love oozing from this page. Delighted to meet you. Hope you don't mind if I splash around a bit.

Hugs from Costa Rica,
Sarah Dawn

sheila said...

That's so sweet! I'm the same way...can't create stuff like that. I end up getting frustrated. Maybe a lemonade stand to help the poor? Sounds a lot easier, lol

Burgh Baby said...

Awwwwww, I love that kid! I hope magical things happen with that robot. Maybe it will spring to life and find a cure for cancer. What? I can dream, can't I?

Michelle said...

Aaawww she has such compassion already!