Friday, July 17, 2009

Texas or Bust

Oh it's that time again. Time to strap two small children down in car seats and head off to the great state of Texas. Just a hop, skip and a jump away (read "Shoot me! It's freakin' 17 hours away!) I believe I have packed all the crap that we don't need and will take up way too much room. necessity items. And we are off!

Three days at the inlaws and three days at my family's house. What joy it brings me to lug around 3 suitcases, 2 bags, and several odds and ends from one house to the next get to stay at each lovely home. Oh, but this time I am BYOC. (Bring your own coffee) It seems my parents have switched to decaf. WTH???? Decaf. Uh, no! That is just wrong in so many ways. And them living on a farm 15 min. from civilization is even worse. It's not like you can run down to Dunkin Donuts and get you some caffeine in a cup. It's brutal. So I am getting smart and bringing my own. Wonder what they would do if I spike their decaf with the good stuff?

But the heat is another story. Holy cow I'm not use to that stuff anymore. Where the sidewalk actually burns your legs because the heat coming off of it. Where you jump around screaming because the seat belt buckle just burnt the crap out of your hands and the steering wheel feels like a branding iron. Yeah, I have made all that a distant memory that is soon to be relived.

But my kids... my kids are so excited. They both woke up and immediately started packing the rest of their things singing "We're going to Texas!" I love seeing them with their grandparents, cousins, aunts and uncles. And I feel a twinge of pain that they don't get that more than once or twice a year.

Yeah, our trips are hectic and take a tremendous amount of work, but totally worth it. I get to hug my mom. I get to play chess with my dad. I get to laugh with my sisters, I get to snuggle with my nephew, and I get to drink beer with my brother in law... Yeah, Texas rocks! See you guys on the flip side.

14 comments:

mother goose said...

going away on a mini vacay is always fun!! enjoy it!

Danielle (Life with the Hewitt Family) said...

Hope you have a wonderful time in Texas!

Paige said...

Have a great trip. Your descriptions remind me of my trips back home to see my family. The heat in GA just kills me now!

Nicole said...

Have fun!! I'm sorry to say that I dont envy the drive with kids though. Been there, done that, and I dont know if I will ever do it again!!!!

heidi said...

NO coffee is brutal, eh? When we used to come visit my IL's, before we moved here, I'd bring my own coffee and coffee pot. No one should be forced to live without coffee. It's inhumane.

So's the heat in Texas.

Have fun!

Mishel said...

It truly does sound like a wonderful time! Enjoy every minute with your family.

AnneYarbs79 said...

Yeehaw, boy howdy! Texas DOES rock! Hope yall have fun!

Kameron said...

Well, at least they told you about the decaf before you woke up the first morning and were greeted with the O'Doule's of coffee! Have fun!

That Girl said...

Have a fun and safe trip!

Domestic Diva said...

Safe travels!! Can't wait to see the pictures!!
Have a fabulous time!!
xxx me

~~Mel~~ said...

I'm sure it's hectic...but the memories are so worth it!

kristi said...

I live near Dallas. We just got rain...glorious to be under triple digits!

Melissa said...

Have a great time!

Paula said...

Hope y'all have had a great time. Call me!