Wednesday, April 8, 2009

These hands

I look down at my hands. My cracked, wrinkly, polishless hands and think, "How did they get so old?"

And then I see that my old hands are holding my son's sweet innocent hand. Then I remember that these hands are the hands of a Mommy. The hands that are comforting my sick son today as he sniffs and coughs with a double ear infection, my hands are there to wipe his nose and hold him tight. To make it all better.

These hands cook the meals for this family and wash their clothes.

These hands give pats on the head and throw baseballs to kids out in the yard.

These hands hold my husband's in a stolen moment just to say I love you.

These old, wrinkly hands help with homework.

These hands fold in prayer.

These hands are my hands and the biggest compliment I could get are that these hands are starting to look like my own mother's hands. The hands that did all those wonderful things for me. I love her hands and am proud to say that my hands are taking after her hands.

14 comments:

Nikki B. said...

awww...so sweet!

AnneYarbs79 said...

Love it.

Cammie said...

beautiful!

Mama SeWELL said...

Sweet post! Hope your son feels better soon, double ear infections are no fun!

Nicole said...

That is so sweet and absolutely true!

Bonnie said...

That is one great post!

Mother Goose said...

i love your outlook, I was just grumpin that my hands are starting to look like my mom's having too many lines in them.

Burgh Baby said...

So sweet!

Heidi @ Tayterjaq's Rebels said...

That is so sweet. I often look at my hands and think they are wrinkly, old hands too. I'll try to think of them in that way now.

Musings of the Mrs. said...

What a great message. A good reminder that, even though I am old today (because its my birthday), I can still do wonderful things.

BTW - we totally are already eBFFs. I read your blog every day.

M said...

Great post...not what I was expecting on the double ear infection day, but still great!

I was just lamenting about getting "old" looking hands. C came over and inspected them, rolled her eyes at me and told me they look "exactly the same as before."

~~Mel~~ said...

My hands look old and I hate it...but reading your post has given me a new outlook.

I hope your son is feeling better soon!

Bec said...

This made me tear up thinking about my mommy and all she's done for me! I love this post :)

TuTu's Bliss said...

Too sweet. I adore this post. I am getting "those" hands too.