Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Potty Training Experiment... help me now!

Potty training....

Do I really need to say anymore? Is your sympathy already at it's peak for me just hearing that phrase? Oh my.....

So I told you guys about our little battle and his will to be trained. Well, I finally jumped on his bandwagon and started. I bought the potty chair. You know, the one that sings, dances, and high fives your kid when they piss. I am thinking of getting one for myself. Maybe a scale that you know, tells me how skinny I am, plays disco music every time I lose a pound and overall makes me feel great.

Anyway. So we get the chair and then we get the pull ups. And seeing that it's week one and I know we are going to go through the pull ups like diapers and the fact that I am cheap, I get the Walmart White Cloud ones. They have monster trucks on them, we're good to go.

So day 1 of the "potty training experiment."

The child gets all excited, sits on the potty and about 1/2 a teaspoon comes out. Mom dances around like an idiot, the whole shibang. So we go again in 30 min. NOTHING but a wet pull up. All day, on and off with the pull ups & pants. I swear it's like one of those games at Chuck E. Cheese where you have to hit the buzzer at the exact right time. And I seem to be hitting it 3 lights too late. Because we go all the time and yet he is always wet.

So I know all this is perfectly normal... we'll get there.... I'm not discouraged, I have wine to get me through. But then......

The White Cloud, turned to a very dark, brown, oozing cloud. As in coming out of his pull up making a puddle on the floor. He freaks out and is now stepping all in it and stepping on my feet to get out of it, causing more to puddle on my feet and making me gag and cough. DISGUSTING! I have had 6 years of dealing with my own children, 7 years on top of that with other people's children and yet I have NEVER seen crap like this. So gross!

So we are in diapers today. Those monster trucks can just wait. But the good news is that he did go potty at his class today. He pooped his pants, but he did go in the potty. And about now you are thinking, why? why do I read this lady's blog? Because people, I need love and support, I am super needy and you are my friends. So stick with me in this little excursion I am taking into the big boy underwear phase. OK?

15 comments:

lmt1073 said...

Bless your heart. You have my sympathy as I am still working with my niece on the whole potty training deal... cleaning up poo is not fun!

Heidi @ Tayterjaq's Rebels said...

I wish you the best of luck. Since I have all girls, I cannot help with any great "boy" advice. We used the "run around naked" method for our youngest two and that worked like a charm but I don't know if it works as well for boys. My girls didn't like the idea of peeing on the floor so we were finished in less than a week. We didn't even finish one pack of Pull-ups.
Of course my older two it was like pulling teeth and they took 6 months. You win some, you lose some.

Tiffany @ Paging Doctor Mommy said...

I can't help you at all... I only have experience with my girl Reagan who literally potty-trained herself in a day. But you have all my sympathy and compassion as you attack this battle! I'm sure any future kids of mine are going to be hell to potty train since my first was so easy!

Alicia said...

You definitely have my sympathy. Mostly because I hope to have your sympathy. See you and I are in the same boat, except yours is showing an interest at least. Every time we just mention the word potty, The Boy starts shouting "No poop!"

*sigh*

Perhaps we should form a support group.

Kameron said...

My boy is still working on the PT but we aren't doing pullups. They are expensive and I don't think they are necessary. I started slow. Every morning when he got up and when he woke up from his nap (the times you know they have to pee) I would ask him if he had to do pee pee toilet (that's what he calls it). I think they have to get used to the idea of what it feels like when they have to go so they can tell you later. We often let him run around bottomless and I just keep a close eye on him. He tends to stop and get this look when he has to go so then I ask him, and sometimes have to quickly whisk him to the bathroom. Yes we've had a few casualties but for the most part he is getting it. We are starting to step up our game and work on it more in earnest now since it is getting close to summer, but I say take it slow and don't torture yourself with pull ups! Oh, jelly beans or M & M's work really well as incentives too! Sometimes Natey is asking for them and I know he has to go!

Becky said...

We just got done potty training so this is hot off the presses for me. Derek was the same way so we stopped pull ups all together. I mean we stopped buying them because I would put them on him for convenience. Instead we did the naked and underwear thing. I got the quilted underwear and plastic pants for when we were out and he ran around naked the rest of the time. ( I also made sure that I had a semi slow week so we could be home a lot) He hated being naked though! After a couple of days we got him really cool underwear and he would NOT go in them. My other advice is to set the timer for 30 minutes and give him lots to drink. Bribing helps too but can be a pain once they aren't awarded anymore:) One last bit... and this has come from many mothers... don't use a potty chair or potty seat. (I know, that's dissapointing to hear, I bought the one that sings too!) I have heard and from my own experience that they get used to it and will not go in a public place or somewhere that the potty isn't. I have heard of people needing to retrain once the potty seat phase is over. Also, we realized that Derek LOVES standing to pee so we got a stool. Hope this helps!!! Good luck!

Denise said...

Man, I wish I had some suggestions. The oldest basically trained herself, and when I found Andy, the 2 of his 3 were already potty trained. The boy, he was 2, was ready for potty training and we were always out camping... so we taught him to pee on a tree first. Easy switch to the toilet. My sister did a neat trick with her kids though. She took a baby doll and her daughter into the bathroom and didn't come out for an hour or so. She was teaching her daughter to teach the baby doll to use the toilet. She did the same thing with her two boys and used their favorite stuffed animal. After that potty training was a breeze for her and there were very few accidents.

Good luck.

Jean said...

Been there done that x 3! :)
I feel your pain and smell the stink in your bathroom.
I say don't rush him boys are pretty slow as long as he's interested than keep on him. I think your doing a great job so far.

M said...

I'm just glad we got to chat about this on my birthday. Truly. :)

AnneYarbs79 said...

I was ALWAYS 3 minutes behind the pee! I feel ya sister! Lets just say my son learned alot of bad words during the whole PT process!

Hang in there: "Youkindoooooooeet!", as my sweet (but weird) husband would say to me!

Swoozie said...

Dark brown oozing cloud........my heart goes out to you!

Pour some more wine for yourself tonite as you sounds like you could use it!

jineen said...

lmao! my kid for some reason freaks out when he thinks that anything that came out his body might again touch him....um hello, it has been touching you all along! he wiggles and kicks and i am like i don't want it on me either! white cloud is cheaper on the shelf, which is almost where you want to leave it cuz they don't hold anything....goodluck! i'll keep my fingers crossed!

~~Mel~~ said...

Why do I read your blog? Because I've been there! So many of us have...trust me.

I can't offer any words of wisdom because it sounds like you are doing everything you can to set him on the right track...maybe he's just not ready yet...even though *he* thinks he is.

heidi said...

Why does it NEVER fail that they always get diahrea whenyou're potty training them? Huh??

I'm feeling for ya. WE just finished and I have to tell you - I thought Corby would be so hard because he's a boy and has sensitivity issues but, nope...he was pretty durned easy once we got through the first few days. But, uh, I did have two other failed attempts because the boy just was NOT ready yet, yk?

heidi said...

Oh yeah, I ditched the pullups for day use, too. SInce we're home all day we did unders and the every 30 minutes thing. THen by day three we were going every hour to hour and a half and by the end of the week it was a mix of me asking and him telling me when he had to go. Night time and naptime is pull-up time, for us.