Thursday, April 2, 2009

A picture is worth...

Do you ever get your kid's picture taken? Are you one of those that does the whole 'every 6 months' thing? Are you a holiday person? Or maybe the whole family on some sandy white beach with denim, white and khaki coordinating outfits? Yeah, I'm none of these. As in literally DO NOT get my kids pictures taken by professionals. Now I know my sisters are saying, "Whoo girl, we know you do, we were there." But really sis, YOU made me. YOU two set up the appointment, drove the car and even helped watch my then 1 year old child. So I would say technically, NO I don't take my kids to get their pictures taken. Any time a professional has taken them has been because it was a school picture or a dear aunt made me do it.

But what I am trying to figure out is why? Why don't I get their pictures taken? What's my deal. I take a bazillion pictures a day of my kids. The evidence of that is in all these posts of ever stupid antic that comes across my household. Heck, I take pictures of socks under a bed. I have narrowed it down to a couple of reasons why I won't record their childhood on that glossy paper.
1. I "think" I am a photographer so I feel like paying someone else would just be a total slap in the face to my mad skills.
2. Money... hello... there is an economic crisis going on.
3. Those stupid backgrounds. Really, no one believes that's a real bridge behind you, it's a stupid canvas, so just get rid of it.
4. I am scared out of my mind to take my child to that place and them not tear up the set, not listen to the photographer, give their ugly smiles (you know the big cheese, eye squint one,) and then I have to pay for that crap. I swear I am breaking out in a sweat just thinking about it.

And then I think about the family picture and that leads me to the thought, "Yeah, when I lose like 40 lbs, that would be awesome. I would love some outside, in the trees shot. You know black sweaters, jeans, and some rocking jewelry. I would be hot man, and then it would be captured forever on film. Oh wait, this was about the kids... never mind, just forget that random thought.

So what do you do? How do you overcome your fear, if any, of the whole professional photographer thing. *FYI I didn't have a professional photographer at my wedding either (I know, shudders and gasps)

10 comments:

Liz @ Sugarplum Creations said...

Ha! I have been beating myself up over not having had pictures done recently . . . my reasons . . . everything you have already listed! :)

That Girl said...

I agree with everything you said! I didnt have a photographer at my wedding either and I regret it now.

Denise said...

I too have this issue with hanging over my pennies to a "professional" in Wally World or even the real deal guys at a studio. Thankfully, we have a family member who works at a studio so we get a huge discount. Now does that mean I take the kids there? Pfffft. I like candid shots better, and REAL backgrounds and family shots at random. I have a camera and I have a Walgreens 24 Hour Photo Dept... what else do I need, really?

WPMomOf2 (jen) said...

WE do a lot of professional photos at JCP's. YOu get a whole pacakge for under $9!!! And I take tons iwth my digital camera too. I am a picture freak!

Jean said...

Amen sister! I haven't had my kids pics professionally done since the 4yr old was 1. We did have a Christmas family pic a few years ago and it doesn't count cause the pics were ugly and I didn't pay for them.
Who needs a fake background bridge when I can find a real one and do the poses I want to do!

Nikki B. said...

i do all my own stunts....

except...last year, we had family pix done by a local guy at the arboretum. they were okay...

which only made me regret paying so much money for mediocre pics.

so, i bought the hoss of a camera and now plan on doing my own until the day i die...

amen

AnneYarbs79 said...

Here's Whatcha Do:
1. Find somebody awesome. Ask a richie girlfriend who she uses- they always know the best people.

2. Have a richie family member to pay for it as an "early Christmas present".(The earlier in the year the better, because they will probably forget by Christmas and get you something again!)Then you aren't out anything even if its a total disaster.

3. Make sure that photographer has kids. To me, kids= patience. And schedule it after naptime. And do it outside. And bring really foul snacks that you would NEVER allow them to have as bribes.

The pics on my blog are evidence that this is a fail-proof plan. (wink)

Heidi @ Tayterjaq's Rebels said...

After all these comments I am almost embarrassed to admit that I am at Sears portrait studios at least twice a year if not more often. To include today!! I get Christmas pictures taken every year and birthday ones for any child not yet in school. (Once they start getting school pictures they don't need any more) We haven't had a family photo since before the 4 year old was born.
Anyhow, I love Sears and am a horrible photographer so I am willing to spend the money a few times per year to get really good shots of my kids. And I am borderline pushy with the photographers to make sure I get what I want in the poses. It's my money and my kids. If they don't like it...get a different job.

~~Mel~~ said...

The last time I took my boy to a professional was in 2005...lol. I've been meaning to get the 'family photo' done for ages and just haven't got around to it...maybe soon...

Burgh Baby said...

Dude, I take Alexis all. the. time. I wait until I have a snazzy coupon from Picture People, and then I make her stand in front of a plain white background while somebody else tries to get her to look at the camera. An hour later, I walk out with my 2 free 8x10's, having spent zilch (other than the $45 for an annual membership thing). LOOOOVE it.