Thursday, April 9, 2009

Mommy really is thinking of not living here anymore

It's about all I can take not to go screaming through a wall like those old cartoons that have the image of the character cut out of the bricks as they run away. That's me! Tuesday I go to get my son up from his crib to find he has 103 fever. GREAT! So we spend the day with him on my lap flaming hot and lethargic. We finally go to the Dr. and discover double ear infections, swollen glands, and buckets of mucus. NICE! So a bit of amoxicilin and a good night's sleep later...

I go to get him up from his crib yesterday to discover some gross, brown dried stuff on his face. I froze. I contemplated just how contractionally obligated I was to the kid. I mean, my first thought was that he wiped poop all over his face, and with that, I would be ready to call this relationship null and void. But with further review, I see that it is actually blood. As in blood all over my child's face. And his blanket. And his pillow, pj's, bedding.... WTH? He has never had a nose bleed. So it takes over 2 hours and many gory details later, I get the bleeding to stop. Only to turn around at nap time to see the same thing, only worse. UG.

Oh yeah, I did it... here's the nose bleed. You are so very welcome!

I absolutely know there was no need for those pictures, but I get squeamish, so I wanted your moral support. Be lucky it wasn't the second one. That was a doozie.

So after calling our Dr. we got the privilege of going to Urgent Care where they proceeded to stick cotton balls up my kid's nose. Wanna know how long that lasted? Oh, who am I kidding, you are mothers, you know precisely how long that lasted. So what we basically did was just teach this small child to shove crap up his nose. WONDERFUL! Oh, and I get to shove Q-Tips up there 3 times a day with antibiotic cream on it to stop the bleeding and let all the little broken blood vessels heal. The only good news was that he was completely acting like himself at the Dr. Not really sure if that is good news, but I'm gonna sway that direction.

So I am working on chants and rain dances to get the kid well before we travel the 7 hours to Iowa and spread our germs cross country. Heaven help our friends that their kids don't get it. Such brave souls to still allow us to come see them over Easter.

23 comments:

That Girl said...

sending you guys healthy vibes!

Sara said...

Good news is...blood is better than poop! Poor guy. Hope he's feeling better before the road trip. Happy Friggin Easter :)

Melissa said...

You know I love that you can laugh about it! All the (planning,preparing,and doing)you do as a mother, when all that gets sideswiped by a bulldozer well ALL you CAN do is LAUGH!!! I sure hope it gets better before your travels.

lmt1073 said...

Bless your heart. My son seems to get nose bleeds when his sinuses are flared up... it sucks!!! I've been fortunate enough to only have nose bleeds when I was pregnant with said son. Other than that, we don't deal with them.

Have a safe trip!

Jean said...

I've had my share of surprise morning blood shed in the bed. Poor kid, send those germs to elsewhere and don't bring them back with you.

kristi said...

My son has had sinus/allergy issues since he was small. Saline solution works, so does vaseline. I put vaseline in his nose before bed and it keeps him from having nosebleeds.

American in Norway said...

Poor little pumpkin... Hope you don't lose your mind & hope he is feeling better soon!

Kameron said...

At least it wasn't poop. Ugh! Good luck on your trip and I hope he feels better!

M said...

Another day in Paradise...

Sending you peaceful thoughts...how is it that the peeing all over the bathroom incident didn't make it in here?

Tiffany said...

I would have freaked out completely! Hope that he is feeling better now and that you guys are able to have a great Easter!

So glad it wasn't poop!

Mother Goose said...

thanks for the pic! I absolutely love the sight of blood, NOT!
LOL,

I do hope you make it across country and have a wonderful easter weekend!

Sus said...

When you move out to live elsewhere, call me if you need a roommate.

sheila said...

Sending positive vibes your way. That is scary! hope little dude feels better soon

~~Mel~~ said...

Awww poor little guy! I sure hope he feels better and fast.

Happy Travels!

Nicole said...

Ugh, sound like a load of fun! So what was up with the bloody nose??? Why antibiotics? I have never heard of that.

Ali said...

Oh no! If only was just poop! Poor guy! (and poor you:))

Shelly said...

Oh My. Can't say I've ever had to deal with that. Hold on while I go find some wood to knock on...Okay, hope everyone is healthy for the trip and you have a great Eastr!

Liz @ Sugarplum Creations said...

Awww, I hate it when the kiddos are sick. My oldest daughter had nose bleeds all the time (or at least it seemed like it) when she was 3. Luckily she grew out of that, but it was quite the nuisance at the time!

Sending thoughts for a quick recovery and safe trip!

jineen said...

my little one still picks his nose in his sleep sometimes, ending up with a murder scene look a like in his room......gross! hope things got better:)

heidi said...

Yk what I got from that whole post?

Holy crap your header is old and you need a new one.

;-)

kristi said...

Not sure what happened to my comment, but we use vaseline on my son's nose. Put a dab in each nostril...works wonders!

kristi said...

DUH, found it.

Michelle said...

I know I am so far behind on commenting, not even sure how that happened (oh wait, it would be because of a little guy named Lucas! LOL)

Anyway, sorry to hear how miserable he was :( Sounds like it was a pretty bad infection :(