Friday, March 27, 2009

You may need an oxygen tank, ear plugs and some rubber gloves, but it will be fun!

Aw the park. A ritual signaling that Winter has once again bowed down to the blossoming of Spring. Where children can roam freely, giggling and skipping away while exploring new heights and fears. Whether it's the monkey bars for the first time or the tallest slide that was just too high last year, children come from every walk of life to the park. There is no fee, there is no dress code, only laughter and equality.

Unless,

You happen to have stumbled upon my park this evening. A park where women smoke freely as the walk around ever section of the friggin thing puffing away like dragons blowing smoke in my poor child's face. Or where couples, who frankly, I don't think were suppose to be a couple, hence meeting at a park to hide their "couplehood," scream curse words and foul language while resting on a nearby bench. Where one mother, perched atop the play area (moi) leans over and gives the stink eye until the lovebirds get the hint that it's not "bring your profanity to the park day," and leave. No, my park is one of merry go rounds that have evidently exceeded some one's thresh hold limit as there was an upchucked lunch covering one whole side. Where people don't care, and go about their merry go rounding as if the chunks will just fly off and everything will be fine. Or maybe, perhaps, just cover it with wood chips and problem solved, your little child can still climb aboard the ride and squeal with delight.

Yes, my park is one special place to be, and seeing that it's only March, I have so many, many months for the park patrons to give my child second hand smoke, a bit of cursing lessons, and perhaps a communicable disease if we are lucky. I can only hope to make it to the park across town this Spring, where I hear used condoms are buried treasures in the sand. What fun that will be.

And FYI: She left this very park for her new one....

20 comments:

sheila said...

Yeah, that stuff pisses me off too. People are just not responsible and they just don't care. Unfortunately, they also breed their kids in the same way. I cannot even tell you how many times I've had to say something to some rude teen or even 'guide' a smaller one unattended by their mom. Some people have no respect for anything. It's very sad.

lmt1073 said...

ahhh, how horrible.... some people just have no consideration for others... parks should be made smoke free... i know some around here have a no profanity rule and i've even seen cops writing tickets... i hope it gets better... by the way, i love your hair in your profile pic!

nicole said...

awwwwwwwwww, i can smell the meth lab in the woods nearby...

Heidi @ Tayterjaq's Rebels said...

eeeeewwwwwwwww. I am hoping our parks don't hit this low. One of them is very close to....the undesirable part of town (read where the gangs hang out). So far it hasn't been too bad there but I keep waiting for it to get worse.
All of our parks in town have no smoking rules posted everywhere.

Bonnie said...

See, us country folks don't need to worry about that stuff BUT you do have rto keep an eye out for that odd Cougar that just may waltz through the field by your house OR better yet now it's Timber Wolves! Of course the odd dog deposit might just be a hazard too.

Jean said...

This just confirms to me that people suck and animals should rule the world.

Kameron said...

I just threw up in my mouth a little. Find a new park immediately!!

Cary said...

Thank goodness our park does not allow smoking or food or drinks, for that matter! It's really cool- our tiny community came together to build our park. My husband (who is not the manual labor type!) worked a full week on it! The company that I worked for supplied lunch everyday. It was a really neat experience! We have "park patrol" as well, someone is always on duty to tame wild kids and make sure no one is breaking the rules. The park closes at dark and the police patrol it regularly, asking parked cars to leave, etc. It's such a nice place! I wish you had a place like that!!!

Nicole said...

People are so inconsiderate. I took my kids to the park next to the elementary school last year and there was jr. high profanity written all over the whole structure............who did who, what size their stuff was, names, phone numbers, and what positions they liked best and best of all, drawings of giant penis's. Yes it was lovely explaining that to my 8 year old. I was pissed.

Crystal said...

ugh people suck.. all that obviously offensive stuff aside one time my kids were on the merry go round with another little girl.. and I was pushing them. It was time for us to go and the little girl begged me to stay and push her and her mom was sitting at the picnic table 5 feet away talking on her cell phone not even paying any attention to her daughter that was maybe 4 at the most. Even sadder that woman is so just like my sister. And people wonder why we dont get along! I turned around and looked back at the park when we got to the car and the little girl was still sitting on the merry go round just looking off into space while her mom talked on the phone at the picnic table @@.

heidi said...

Sounds deeeeeeeelightful.

That Girl said...

yikes, sounds like a fun day!

Melissa said...

Oh Heidi, I hope that you are able to find a better park to go to...that really sucks. These children never asked for any of this, and to be exposed to so many ugly things in this world is heartbreaking.

Tinika said...

You have an award waiting for you at my blog!

obladi oblada said...

People ARE idiots, but did you know I left you an award at my blog? You crack me up.

Crystal said...

Have an award for you up on my blog!

Jennifer, Playgroups Are No Place For Children said...

Are you talking about the park near the hospital?!? I never saw anyone smoking there! I am appalled!

That town has really gone down the tubes since I left.

jineen said...

oohh, i wish i lived near you, i so much want my kid to oick up those valuable lessons, any chance there are used needles as well?

i think they should really have rules posted and a security guard at parks sometimes. i know it is ridiculous to have to say that, but i think we should be able to take our kids to the park without dealing with this crap! hope you find a better place to let your kids be kids:)

whereismymind said...

That sounds like THE place to be! ;-)

Mother Goose said...

OHHH no!! I used to know a park like that too! so sorry and despite the fact that it was wrong, I could not stop staring and trying to sneak glances at people who would hook up at a park! LOSERS!!!