Tuesday, March 31, 2009

In Bloom

For those of you not exposed to the great state of Texas... this post is for you. Every Spring the most wonderful thing happens in the most wonderful State in the Union. (yeah, I said it, I was brainwashed and branded at birth, it happens.) The bluebonnets bloom. And I don't mean, "Oh, look at Old Mrs. Crenshaw's bluebonnets, aren't they beautiful?" Or, "Hey, let's go down to Home Depot and pick up some bluebonnets to plant." No, these things are wild and beautiful and cover vast fields as far as the eye can see.

I remember walking home from Elementary school with my sisters when I was in First Grade and I saw this pretty flower on the side of the road that I just had to pick up. My sisters went ape sh$%# on me. They swore that the police were coming after me for picking the state flower and I was going to jail. I swear, I'm still scared to touch one of those things today. But every year thousands of Texans trapes through the fields or stop on the side of the road, usually a highway, to stick their little cherubs in the bluebonnets to take pictures. Exhibit A:


I have only gotten to do this once with my children, no matter how hard I plan for it, it just never happens. But it is a sight to see and I absolutely recommend it to EVERYONE to go see the bluebonnets just once. They are in bloom right now and it always makes me homesick. So in honor of Texas Day at my house, I am looking at pictures, cooking beans and cornbread and plan to lay my thickest accent on anyone who comes near. So y'all have a nice day and bless your heart!

15 comments:

lmt1073 said...

AWWW, I miss home and the bluebonnets... one day i'm going back to find a field and take my babies pictures there.

whereismymind said...

They are beautiful! The kids and the flowers...

Nikki B. said...

oh yeah...they're just beginning to pop up. not quite enough to plop the kids into, yet. but, very, very soon!!!

Musings of the Mrs. said...

Mmmm....homemade corn bread. Yes, the blue bonnets are pretty, but would love a pic of your kids eating your homemade corn bread. (do ya think its time for lunch for me or what?)

tollesons4him said...

I think this is one thing I love about Texas this time of year!! We are going to take bluebonnet pictures this weekend!!!

Jean said...

I have yet to get the kids pic in the blue bonnets even after living here almost ten years. I need to get on that ASAP!

Swoozie said...

The bluebonnets sound awesome! Had to giggle at your "omigosh, the police are coming to get me because I picked a bluebonnet" story!

Same thing happened here when I was young and picked a Lady Slipper flower.

Thought. I. Was. Going. To. The. Big. House. (because according to my older sister, I was!)

Have a great Texas Day!

WPMomOf2 (jen) said...

oh so pretty!!!!

~~Mel~~ said...

What pretty flowers! And of course adorable kiddos too.

nicole said...

it's funny because before i got to your last line i was reading it in a texas accent ya'll :)

Nicole said...

Hmm maybe someday I'll get to see them in person, they look beautiful. Cute picture too!

Mother Goose said...

yes we used to live in TX! I love the blue bonnets!!! cute pictures

AnneYarbs79 said...

We were just in Austin this weekend and WHOA NELLY! Hill country + Wildflowers = Gorgeous!!!

And don't think I haven't dresses up my kids in thier sparkling white polos and jeans and driven them to the other side of the Earth (well, Dallas) after getting wind of a great bluebonnet patch in hopes of getting one great picture... HA!

Baby Bunching said...

Oooo.....bluebonnets! I miss them so much.

Michelle said...

aaawww that is such a sweet picture!