Monday, February 9, 2009

TeeHee... someone got T.P.-ed

So I was driving down the road today and I see this house completely covered in toilet paper. I mean trees, shrubs, lawn, entire house. I realize that this is where my 32 year old butt is suppose to say, "Those whipper snappers! I can't believe they did that. Those poor parents." But I don't, instead I start to giggle at the craftsmanship. I mean, you don't do work like that your first try. It takes practice and some superior knowledge. No single ply crap paper is going to do the job right. You have got to have double ply weaved paper to get that much lift when throwing without breakage. And the angle of your throw is just as important if you want to reach those high places.

I can remember my favorite TP experience. My aunt let my sisters and I spend the night and after a rip roaring game of Yahtzee she simply asked "Well, who are we going to TP tonight?" Just like, it's a right of passage or something. So our victim, Clint, happened to be the older brother of one of my close friends. We went to the store all giddy, and thinking my aunt was the coolest lady on earth. (FYI, she was, and I miss her everyday.) Anyway, she taught us the rules... where to park, what type of paper to get, and how to throw it perfectly. The night ended with us all running and jumping in a ditch while the cops drove by shining their lights on the house. Thank goodness we didn't get caught, I am pretty sure that would have been the end of our 'sleepovers' with Aunt B.B. And then who would offer their driveway for my & my boyfriend to park in while we tell my parents we are going to get ice cream? (FYI, MOM: I never did it, but she did offer....)

So this gets me to thinking. What kind of parent am I going to be when it comes to my kids on things like this? Am I going to freak out if they want to go Toilet Papering? Am I going to share my skills with them? Do I turn the other way when I know they are doing harmless teenage stuff or do I stop every chance I see, knowing that for each one I catch, there are probably 10 more I don't know about? I know I will never be the parent that lets my kids have alcohol parties just so I know they are safe at home. That kind of stuff is just not even on the table. But what about the semi-harmless stuff we all did?

What are your thoughts? Where do you stand on that stuff?

16 comments:

solo nicole said...

i had strict parents...plus i was the oldest and too much of a wimp to try and defy authority (i was a great sneaker though)....and i always said i would be a much more laid back parent and my parents were like yeah right...but now i know i will be. i think the key is open communication (and tracking devices)....if my parents were more open then i would have told them a lot more and had a lot more fun....how many times do you think i can use the words a lot in this comment? a lot?

M said...

Lady, I am still struggling with drop-off birthday parties for a 6-year-old...I can't even begin to think about this today.

My first (very tiny) thought was that your mom probably knew what your aunt was up to and that is what aunt's are for...coolness with a direct line to your mother at all times for safety. :)

Jean said...

Very cool of your aunt to show you the way. A lot of people are misguided in their youth on proper tp technique. I could always tell a rookie t.p.ing by the non conformity of the hanging and on those that were lax on the TP or say only did one tree...lame.

Oh, my thoughts on my kids doing this? I say as long as you don't get caught and I know nothing of it then uhm sure ok..maybe, I don't know, I'll let the hubs deal with it. :)

sheila said...

Oh, I say pass along your best advice, especially to get the right TP. You want them to enjoy and have fun...and NOT get busted by taking too long completely the task! lol

Hey, they're only young once. As long as you tell them not to egg or anything else that will ruin stuff...you're good to go!

I say, encourage and corrupt! lol

Mama SeWELL said...

TP'n is a right of passage, teach them with pride. Its harmless! I do agree with the not drinking in the house enabling drunken teenagers. My dad died in a drunk driving accident and I hold the not drinking underage thing very close to my heart! Let kids enjoy being kids and guide them to have as much fun as possible! They still need to know whos boss though!

Angela said...

I am glad I have a few more years before I have to start thinking about all this.

very cool aunt

Junita said...

I fondly remember getting TP'ed - and as part of that experience my dad relaying his HS adventures, good and bad - kids will be what they are inclined to be (good, bad, problems....etc)but I think the link with parents helps guide some of those decisions

That Girl said...

I never did the tp thing. I did participate in a spray paint project.....I know thats even worse!! I would be livid if someone spray painted my white deer with orange paint.......not that I have a white deer but still.

~~Mel~~ said...

My mom's motto was...

"what I don't know won't hurt you, but what I find out is a whole different story" lol.

I tend to take the same approach with my little guy and will probably do so through the teenage years. Harmless fun is part of life!

Kameron said...

I think that the harmless stuff like TPing is good teenage fun. As long as they aren't vandalizing anything else there is no harm in iyt. Heck I'd probably offer to be the get away driver for them!!

Rebekah said...

I did my share of TP when I was younger, but Im not sure I would want my kids roaming around at 2am stealing tp from a port0potty.

On the flip side- I get so aggravated when people call my police department to request a criminal report on the 'Vandalism' done to their house. Seriously- Vandalism?? Dont these people have any sense of humor? To me vandalism is permanant damage- the TP will melt off next time it rains. I think these snobs are just embarassed in front of their neighbors.

heidi said...

I tp'd a few houses back in the day. We'd also steal construction barriers and road signs and put them in people yards, too.

I dunno that I'll help my kids do it but I'm not sure how masd I'd be if they did it, yk?

lmt1073 said...

guess i'm lucky in the fact that we don't have alot of trees, shrubs, etc... but i still don't think that i'm going to have three kids go through high school without it happening at least once.

Crystal said...

Never tp'ed but I wouldnt care if my kids did as long as no premanent damage was done (eggs, paints etc.) and if they go caught so be it they have to clean it up thats life lol. I wouldn't help them but I don't think I'd stop them either lol.

American in Norway said...

As I was reading your post I was just thinking I should introduce the art of TPing to Norway... I have never seen it donehere... (they would probably think it was a waste of paper....)

I took my little sister & her friends when she was in 6th-7th grade... even helped them pop garbage bags of popcorn to dump on the lawn.... My gosh, did I just admit all of this?

Oh Boy...Oh Boy...Oh Boy said...

I think when that time comes I'll just be thrilled if my teenagers are actually talking to me. I won't bug them about the harmless stuff. However, the better not get caught, or they better have a job to bail themselves out :)