Ok so I got totally freaked out today and feel like I need to share. I have this friend. Kinda friend, our 2 year olds have a PIT (Parent Infant Toddler) class together. We have done lunch & a couple of things. OK, anyway, so today was the first time I have seen her in a few weeks. We chit chat & she is all calm asking me about my holidays. And then says, "Well, we were at the hospital down in Indy this week."
I'm thinking tubes... something easy and expected. I mean the little girl is right there and looks as healthy and happy as can be. Uh NO. This is her story & I am telling it because it scared the crap out of me and is definitely going to make me more cautious.
She & her extended family had gone to Texas Roadhouse for dinner. They were in the waiting area with that huge thing of peanuts and the little girl stuffed her entire mouth with peanuts, shells and all. (Right about now you are thinking, whewwww, my child doesn't have peanut allergies, that must be what this is about. Uh NO.) So they got it all out of her mouth, she threw up a bit but was fine. That night during bath the dad noticed she was wheezing a little bit, and coughing. (To me that would be no big deal and I probably wouldn't have done much about it, thank goodness they weren't me) SO on Wed. the mom takes her to the pediatrician to just get her checked out. While she's there she tells about the peanuts and the Dr. does an x ray. It shows that part of a peanut has gone down her bronchial tube and is stuck. So she goes into some type of surgery to get it out, but there is infection around it already starting and he doesn't have the best equipment. Since this was urgent they end up life flighting her to the hospital an hour away. And NO mom couldn't ride on the helicopter. So that poor lady spent an hour driving while her baby was in surgery. (Well riding, her husband was driving)
The happy ending was that when she arrived the Dr. was in the waiting room with a baggie containing the peanut. All was well. The Dr. did however tell her that it is very common for this to happen in kids under 4 years of age with peanuts and popcorn. He alone has had two children that he couldn't save from it because the signs aren't outstanding and bacteria ends up growing around the site making it impossible to get out.
Now I didn't mean to scare you, well, actually I did. It scared the crap out of me because we always have popcorn and the occasional peanut. I am sooo rethinking that.
Earning My Punishments
6 hours ago