Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Serious, but just this once.

Ok so I got totally freaked out today and feel like I need to share. I have this friend. Kinda friend, our 2 year olds have a PIT (Parent Infant Toddler) class together. We have done lunch & a couple of things. OK, anyway, so today was the first time I have seen her in a few weeks. We chit chat & she is all calm asking me about my holidays. And then says, "Well, we were at the hospital down in Indy this week."

I'm thinking tubes... something easy and expected. I mean the little girl is right there and looks as healthy and happy as can be. Uh NO. This is her story & I am telling it because it scared the crap out of me and is definitely going to make me more cautious.

She & her extended family had gone to Texas Roadhouse for dinner. They were in the waiting area with that huge thing of peanuts and the little girl stuffed her entire mouth with peanuts, shells and all. (Right about now you are thinking, whewwww, my child doesn't have peanut allergies, that must be what this is about. Uh NO.) So they got it all out of her mouth, she threw up a bit but was fine. That night during bath the dad noticed she was wheezing a little bit, and coughing. (To me that would be no big deal and I probably wouldn't have done much about it, thank goodness they weren't me) SO on Wed. the mom takes her to the pediatrician to just get her checked out. While she's there she tells about the peanuts and the Dr. does an x ray. It shows that part of a peanut has gone down her bronchial tube and is stuck. So she goes into some type of surgery to get it out, but there is infection around it already starting and he doesn't have the best equipment. Since this was urgent they end up life flighting her to the hospital an hour away. And NO mom couldn't ride on the helicopter. So that poor lady spent an hour driving while her baby was in surgery. (Well riding, her husband was driving)

The happy ending was that when she arrived the Dr. was in the waiting room with a baggie containing the peanut. All was well. The Dr. did however tell her that it is very common for this to happen in kids under 4 years of age with peanuts and popcorn. He alone has had two children that he couldn't save from it because the signs aren't outstanding and bacteria ends up growing around the site making it impossible to get out.

Now I didn't mean to scare you, well, actually I did. It scared the crap out of me because we always have popcorn and the occasional peanut. I am sooo rethinking that.

25 comments:

lmt1073 said...

oh wow! not that we eat alot of peanuts but we do have lots of popcorn in the house....

Jennifer, Playgroups Are No Place For Children said...

Well that does it, I'm never giving my kids popcorn again. This scared the crap out of me.

Kameron said...

Taht could totally happen to us because Natey shoves handfulls of just about anything he can get his mitts on in his mouth. Yikes! I'm glad that she's ok.

Melissa said...

Oh how scarey!!Glad she's doing ok and on the road to recovery.

Jean said...

I would have been like you and thought no biggie...depending on how loud the wheezing was. I'd be freaking too!

Danielle (Life with the Hewitt Family) said...

I am glad that the little girl is alright. Thank you so much for sharing this story...we will be rethinking the popcorn and peanuts in our house as well. This is so scary!

Ali said...

Ever since my son choked on a peppermint candy when he was 3 I have been so paranoid about them choking--I keep telling my youngest, "chew, chew, chew!"

Even getting choked on a little water at the pool or lake can end up suffocating them hours later. Scary thoughts!

AnneYarbs79 said...

I always used to roll my eyes at the peanut/ popcorn "choking" hazard- but now I know its not so much the choking, as the LODGING! AHHHHH! Its horrifying to think! Thanks for posting! I would have been a mental patient at the end of all that.

Alicia said...

Oh man!!

I'm so glad they took her to the doctor just to be on the safe side!!!!!

anti-supermom said...

Those are my youngest two favorite food groups: peanuts (out of the shell though) and popcorn.

I avoided it with my first for many years, but with the second it just so hard...

but being in surgery would be harder. Wow, what a story.

Thanks for the bloggy visit.

andria said...

Thanks for posting this. My dad is a big peanut eater and is always giving them to my kids when they are there. We also do a lot of popcorn, I had NO idea.

No more popcorn OR nuts for us.

Khadra said...

wow! Thank you for posting this because my husband and I will sneak little pieces of popcorn to the younger ones and Im thinking that we need to stop that now!!

Crystal said...

Yikes, I hate peanuts lol.. maybe is my subconcious. Anyway I LOVED the cake and I bestowed u an award check it out!

Mommy Daisy said...

Wow, that is scary, but it's probably a good story to pass along.

Melissa said...

I agree with everyone else- No more popcorn for my 2 year old! How scary for that family!!

obladi oblada said...

Yikes! That IS scary!

Juls said...

Are you kidding me? That is seriously crazy. No more peanuts or popcorn for my little nieces and nephews when they visit .... I can't imagine. Glad she's ok, though.

Alicia said...

I never would have thought about that...ever. Thanks for sharing!

Debateur said...

Wow that is scary. Thanks for the heads-up.

Nicole said...

Holy crap that is scary. I make my kids popcorn almost every day! No peanuts thanks to the severe allergy. That's almost as scary as the dry drowning. I didn't take my kids swimming for sooooo long after I learned about that one.

blueviolet said...

Oh my gosh, that's absolutely crazy. I've never heard of that. Good thing you're doing alerting everyone! Wow.

Angela said...

too scary.

Um another thing to worry about

solo nicole said...

holy crap!

Heidi @ Tayterjaq's Rebels said...

I guess I will have to find something else for my daughter to eat during movie night...her choices used to be popcorn or peanuts...not any more!
Thanks for the heads up.

Rebekah said...

Whew! Scary