Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Experiment - Day 1


So it's a new year, time to refresh from all the craziness of the holidays. I, for one, have had it! I spend the month of December stressed out of my mind and needing a Valium just to get through the day. It was not a pretty sight and in the middle of all that I lost sight of some very important things.

I forgot to stop and enjoy that time with my family. Instead of being restless and frantic, I should have been savoring those priceless moments. I know I will regret that time I was more worried about what gifts to buy than what memories I made.

But January has rolled around and it's time to get back on the horse. So with that thought in mind, my husband and I are starting our own experiment. A "get back to ourselves" kind of thing. For the next two weeks, when the kids go to bed, we are turning off the television. *OUCH* It kinda hurts, but in that, "It will be good for us." way. We will have more time to read, talk, concentrate on other things. (I am pretty sure he thinks he's going to get more action because I am just going to get so bored and give in out of default.)

So last night was our first night. It started off good. I grabbed the computer. (Yeah, score one for me!) He spend 10 minutes doing something and then the rest of the night staring at the TV trying to turn it on with his eyes. Now I don't fault the guy, I would have done the same thing too if he had the computer, but he didn't so "Nana nana boo boo!"

Thank goodness tonight I will be out with friends and not care, but I am already considering what tomorrow night will be like. I will keep you posted. I am hoping at the end of this I should be skinnier, smarter, and more beautiful.... or at least get a book read and one good conversation with my husband that doesn't involve one of us yelling at small children.

19 comments:

M said...

Poor Hubby! I can totally see that look in his eyes, the slump in his shoulders and his secret loathing of you with the computer snug on your lap...

How about a "Turn off the Screen" week? No screens after 9 pm. That should at least result in a liitle nooky. (I've heard its great for those winter doldrums. :)

Jillene said...

What a great idea. Maybe I will have to adopt it from you. I need some quality time with my hubby--and maybe he WILL get more action!!

Cammie said...

whoa. my husband would FA-reak
does he get to watch while you are not home?

Alicia said...

Well, I think what you're doing is fantastic! What a great time to reconnect with your hubby!! It's weird because I'm almost like the guy (not literally) where I would love to watch TV or be on the puter, and my hubby wants to have everything off and just talk. But, I appreciate that, and I do it because I know that that is important to him. It's a blessing to me too though. It's so easy to get caught up w/ the kids all day, and the last thing you want to do is talk. You just kinda want to veg out. But...you'll see..after awhile, you will look forward to those quiet moments with your hubs!!

Dan said...

I got rid of cable here 6 months ago. Other than football games it hasn't been too bad (We were not big on TV).

Good luck - enjoy some family time and read a few good books.

Kameron said...

I have one night a week where I don't watch TV. If I tried to get him to do that I would practically have to ensure nooky!!

obladi oblada said...

Ive turned the tv off as well, and im enjoying books again, so good luck. You can do it. American Idol is starting again, so I might have to make a small exception.

Jean said...

You can totally do it! If I've gone 4 months with out any T.V. whatsoever, you can totally do two weeks at night. Easy peasy!
I admit more nooky has been the result of this..though beautiful, smart and skinny.. not so much on my side. You though could totally pull it off. :)

Ali said...

Kudos to your hubby! Mine wouldn't agree to that in a million years! Fortunately, all my shows can be watched online!

AnneYarbs79 said...

We are doing something similar- only later in the evening when he comes in and says, "Okay, I'm headed for bed" I have to get off the computer and actually go upstairs too. We've caught up on all of our Tivoed Days Of Lives, and the real days of our lives. Nice.

Danielle (Life with the Hewitt Family) said...

Great idea. I have been having "me" time once Carter goes to bed and Josh is at work. I really enjoy this time where I can surf the net, blog, or read.

Maybe you guys could play a game...It would be so nice to have some quality time with my hubby. Keep us posted on how it goes...You better have a book ready because I bet your husband will be extra quick to grap the computer next time.

Heidi @ Tayterjaq's Rebels said...

Good Luck! I think my husband would divorce me if I tried to do something like that.

Nicole said...

good for you! We need to do that with our kids. I hardly ever watch tv. You guys could learn a new game, cribbage is always fun. But I'm sure the nooky time is even better!!!

WPMomOf2 (jen) said...

good for you, i couldn't do it--hubby would kill me--but I respect you for trying!

Michelle said...

good luck with your experiment! definitely go to the library and get some good books to read - when else do you have a chance to read?! :) Or play some card/board games with hubby...that could always bring up some great discussions!

Michelle said...

oh ps...you know you can always watch any shows you miss during these 2 wks on their respective network sites right? Now that I'm living on the east coast the shows come on later - like Brother and Sisters, and if I'm not up to staying up till 10 (or 11 actually) to watch that show I can watch it another day on abc.com ... works for me! and less commercials too :)

sheila said...

ha ha ha, that's funny. I don't know what we'd do if we shut the tv off. (sounds of crickets in the background) ha ha.

I'd say, take a walk for 15-30 minutes and 'talk'. Then come home and watch tv. You need to ease into this gently or you'll fail before you even get started. lol

Mother Goose said...

awe! good idea! dh and I have found the computer to be kind of fun! He will be upstairs on the laptop and I downstairs and then on FB, we will message each other sweet nothings and meet in the bedroom! ::swoons::

We have been both in bed on laptops both on FB reading what our friends have said, and looked over at each other and laughed! LOL

Cammi said...

I'm trying it today for the first time...wish me luck!