Sunday, December 7, 2008

When the dog bites, when the bee stings....

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things
(could you totally tell I was off key with that? No? Good.)

I always smile opening up the box of ornaments as a flood of memories comes back with each one. Here are my favorite ornaments:

Of course the 1st year together ornament. This one is from our engagement pictures. It makes me remember young love and all the things we are gone through together since then. Every year I pull it out I see how many more memories we made in the past year.


This is from one of my closest friends. I sometimes have high standards for close friends but once you are in that circle, you are there for life. I consider any gift from a close friend precious.


This, obviously, is a pacifier. My daughter's favorite to be exact. We lost it in the Christmas box her first Christmas and it has been on the tree ever since.


And last, but certainly not least, is this one. My aunt gave it to me, in April. I was going through a very tough breakup and she came and spend the weekend with me at college and brought this to me to cheer me up. She passed away 10 years ago, but it reminds me every year that she is still here for me. (* Side note: I married the guy I broke up with. See 1st ornament)



So what are your favorite ornaments? What makes you sing?

8 comments:

Jillene said...

All of my ornaments are my favorite. They have all been picked my me, my husband and children. They are all Santa's.

~TAMY 3 Sides of Crazy~ said...

I love all the little stories that go with everyone's favorite ornaments. Hubby buys me a "first year together" ornament every year - romantic soul isn't he? SHHH, I promised I wouldn't tell.

Bonnie said...

The pacifier is hilarious...at least I thought it was. If my kids saw that they would try to get it to suck on. Once a paci disappears around here it has too be gone.

We have a first year together ornament too. I love it and always hold my breath when any of those important "first" ornaments are picked up and hung on the tree (I fear someone will drop them)

Nice post.

heidi said...

Ok, I LOVE that you put the pacifier on the tree!! LOL

Kameron said...

I am decorating it tonight so I will show ya soon!! I like the pacifier. That is a cute idea!

sheila said...

Oh! Great post! Each one of my kids has a box of their own ornaments collected over the years and they hang those on the tree. I love ornaments. They are great reminders too, once you get older, of Christmases past.

Cassie said...

We give each other personalized ornaments every year...i just love them. My favorite is probably a take-out box of Chinese food ornament that my husband got me the first year we dated. We just loooove chinese food!

Heidi said...

OK, just to clarify something> my dear, sweet, annoying husband laughed because I said my aunt gave me an ornament in April and then I said she died 10 years ago. Well, mister smarty pants, obviously it was April sometimes before 10 years ago. (as in 12) I was just saying....