Thursday, December 11, 2008

Heck Yeah!

Oh yeah, the tides have turned. There is nothing like making your kids do that crap you don't want to do.

When I was a kid, my sisters and I were in charge of doing the dishes. Now, amongst the three of us, there wasn't one of us that took this responsibility seriously. Looking back, we gave my parents hell about it too. I remember charts, family meetings and lectures. And if we didn't have them done when Dad got up in the mornings to go to the fire station, (do you know what time a man gets up to go to the fire station? Butt ass early, that's what time) he would wake us all up and make all 3 of us do them. At 5 am!!!!! Talk about some very stupid kids, I can't tell you how many times we had to do that.

And now... I am the parent. And it's about that time! My daughter is 6 and has started helping out around the house. I remember that too, the part where you WANT to help. You think it will be the coolest thing in the world to spray the furniture polish. It's cool for about a month, then it totally bites, but by then you are stuck, you have proven you can do it and the parents get to sit back while you slave. I have been waiting for that day.

So now, my daughter cleans the mirrors and glass in our house.. She polishes the stairs and clears the table after dinner. Not to mention the fact that the 2 year old takes the laundry down to the laundry room and attempts to load the washer. He even gets the broom for me when he makes a mess with playdough or crackers. Yeah, I got them trained. And me, well I am doing my nails... You know, cause that's all moms have to do when their kids take over chores.

I am thinking of having more kids just to have one do the dishes, one laundry, one for floors and another for making beds. Yeah, about 4 more kids will do just fine. Oh crap, I forgot about those 6 years BEFORE they contribute. I guess I will just have to train these two extra hard.

17 comments:

Jayne said...

Hahahaha great. I wish I'd trained mine a lot younger. Now they just look at me like I've gone stark raving mad when I want something done. Nah not really but not nearly as good as you have it. I'd say you'd be sitting back and watching the soaps and eating choccies just like a real stay at home mum hahaha It makes you wonder tho' about what we did and what they do huh? Stumbled on your blog - might keep an eye on you! Stength - don't give in!! Jayne

sheila said...

Good idea. At our house, we have a chart and they all do the same chores, on different days...you know so they don't get bored and everyone has to at some time during the week, do the sucky stuff. And no allowance either. They're expected to do it as part of the household. lol

Kameron said...

Mine does his verson of sweeping. Sometimes I think I should make an outfit from Swiffer material and drag him around the hardwoods. i think he'd love it!!

Abby said...

My husband always says that we had a child to mow the lawn and shovel the snow for us. We still have to wait a few years on that before he is any good at it though. I'm hoping he will still think helping is fun, but I am sure that will pass!

Jillene said...

I can't wait until they can mow the lawn and CLEAN THE TOILETS!! It will be a dream come ture!!

Nikki B. said...

be careful! while having a few more kids to train and take over ALL the chores IS tempting...DON'T DO IT! if you have too many, they will form a coup and overthrow the government! enjoy though...it's your repayment for wiping asses for all those years!

tollesons4him said...

When the day came that my girls started helping out was the greatest day of my life...I still have to threaten in some cases to get them to do things.

Alicia said...

Oh my gosh...you make me laugh!!!!

I know..I should appreciate it when they do chores on their own!!! My two older kids are getting out of that mentality. I need to nip that in the bud!!!

Jennifer said...

oh yes, I remember BEGGING to use the funiture spray to help out ,ha.

Melissa said...

I know what you mean, I have a 8 year old that loves to help out. I keep telling her she can't back out now:) Our 7 year old on the other hand just doesn't try:) She's not dumb that's for sure:) I had to laugh reading your post, it made me think of my own kids:)

Mrs B said...

I just want to tell you that your Dora post last month, so I'm a little behind, was the FUNNIEST thing I have ever read. I read it to my husband and almost couldn't get through it. I literally had to put my finger in the air to tell him to hold on because I couldn't breathe. Damn funny!

sheila said...

Oh, I left you an award at my place, if you are interested.

Michelle said...

I know what you mean! Kayla loves to help around the house too...and I keep thinking, you better still do this when you're 12! LOL

hey, you won the baby einstein cd! Just send me your address when you get the chance!

Heather of the EO said...

Oh how I wish they started cleaning earlier. I would have a dozen.

Heather said...

I can't WAIT for that!!! Cleaning slaves! Somehow I grew up without "chores," probably the only kid I knew who didn't have them. But it'll be fun to hand them over to Aidan!

Heidi Zawisza said...

Ha! I am cracking up here....and getting ideas.......

kristi said...

lol... my kids mess way more than they clean!