Saturday, November 1, 2008

You did NOT put your kid in a cage? Did you?

So I have had this problem for say... oh... a month or so. A HUGE problem. It all started when my son decided he did not want to stay in his crib. He would literally throw himself over the side and just hope for the best, I guess. So we decided, against our better judgement, that maybe we should take the crib down.

*insert onlookers looking in like we're on their TV screen screaming, "Don't do it! Stop! That's so wrong, what are you thinking people? " Isn't that what you would say to parents of a 20 month old thinking of letting this child loose? Looking back, that's exactly what I would say.

So we did, and you know what? The first night went great. He slept wonderfully and we thought, "Wow! What an awesome idea we had." Short lived! Then this happened. Over and over and over we were spending tons of time putting him back into bed. Our normal routine: Put him down at 8pm (which took several times putting him back into bed) Then he would wake up at 1 am. sometimes going back to bed, but lots of times just getting right back up until 3 or 4am. Literally, hours of this. Then he was up for the day at 5:30am. We used method after method with little results. I was on the verge of taking an alias and skipping town, just forget this whole parenting thing if it means I will never sleep again, but I didn't. What a good mommy am I?

And then.... I found the solution.... a cage. My mom has been telling me just to turn over his crib so it's like a cage. (not really, just sort of like a joke, I hope. You were joking weren't you Mom? Don't tell me if you weren't, I don't want to know.) Anywho... So a friend tells me about this cage tent that she uses with her daughter. I push the idea off for a while; That was until my eyes were so blood shot I looked like I had hitched a ride with Cheech and Chong, I was starting to wear pajama pants to church and inserting coffee through an IV just to get up in the morning. That's when you know you have a problem.

So after a rough night I drove over an hour to the nearest Babies R Us and purchased said "tent." Husband growls, scowls, and groans the entire time he is putting the crib back together and attaching the "tent." My fingers were crossed the entire time, hoping, praying, doing rain dances that it works. That we can finally get some sleep.


And you know what - IT WORKED! It totally worked. The child HATED it for about 30 min. and then got the best sleep of his entire life. He went to sleep at 8:30pm and I actually had to wake him up at 8am to take my other child to school. He is sleeping so much better, it's amazing. You have not seen a happier mommy EVER. I mean, I started showering again, my hair is shinier, my skin is softer... it's amazing what two good nights of sleep will get ya. I may even decide to actually start exercising again because of all the energy I have. Or not.

13 comments:

Bonnie said...

Happy to hear the "tent" worked. I have seen them but luckily never had any kids try to climb out. We always have the bedtime issues and we have a daughter who wanders in the night.

Sleep can do wonders.

He And Me + 3 said...

I didn't know they made those for cribs. Hmmm. Glad he is sleeping better. We still put a gate up in the hallway, so that none of the kids can exit towards the house away from us without us hearing them in the night. I will probably keep it up until they become teenagers. LOl

Nicole said...

I didn't even know those existed! My 21 month old is acting like he is ready for a big boy bed but I don't know, I'm afraid that it will be like your situation. Him getting out of bed every ten minutes and me on the verge of murder.

K and/or K said...

Now what is your secret for getting grown up to get OUT of bed? Does Babys R Us have a catapault?

Rebekah said...

That tent things is a cool idea. I could have used that for Suzie. But we are over that hump now, most nights anyway.

Glad it worked out for you

Alicia said...

I was cracking up at the line, "and hope for the best." LOL!

I'm glad that he's safely tucked away and you're able to catch up on your beauty sleep!!

Heidi Zawisza said...

Do they sell those in adult sizes? I need one for Craig.

tollesons4him said...

Glad the tent worked, wish they had that for my kids back then I so would have had one.

Pregalicious said...

we took the crib away at 19 months, i feel your pain. it took months and months but finally she is staying in bed. for me it was seeing a change in her...at first she was terrified and would scream and scream...once she started fake crying, smirking, etc. i knew deep down she was ready so i stopped sleeping on the floor and just demanded that she stay in her room and that she was "too old" for this. overall she does great but she does get up in the middle of the night alot and get in bed with us...we have a platform bed so she just climbs right in so its too hard for me sound asleep to put her back :)

Kameron said...

Best 65 bucks I've ever spent!

Jill said...

My cousin uses this... and loves it! I only wish I had this when my youngest was climbing out of her crib several times a night.

Michelle said...

I've heard a lot of parents who have had to use that and with good results! So glad it worked for you too! No sleep isn't a good thing :)

Megan (FriedOkra) said...

I've heard of those! We're not quite there yet but nice to know it worked for you in case we get to that point! Thanks!