Tuesday, November 4, 2008

President of our Household

So today is the day we pick a president. I am so glad that I drug my little crazy man to the polls and voted. I know he had no idea what was going on, except for the fact that he was pulling on the lady's computer cord. Can you imagine seeing me on the news because we screwed up a voting site? I hate to say, that I can imagine it, I am just glad I didn't see it.

But I do want my children to have some sense of what's going on, what this is all about. Over the past few weeks I have talked to my daughter about the candidates and what they stand for. Trying not to give a "good guy, bad guy" attitude, but to just let her have an open mind and not feel like one party is more than another, but what you believe is important. Now, with that said, the idea that she has no idea what I am talking about does not escape me. I am sure she doesn't get 3/4 of what I am saying, but I feel like I should say it.

So tonight is election night in our house. We are starting off with making American place mats for the table. Red, white and blue. Followed by electing our very own President of the House. This president does not get much power. Seeing as I am usually the President, I am not willing to give that up so easily because I know they will NOT elect me. (call it a hunch) But the Pres does get to pick where we sit for dinner (table or living room, which is a real treat) What we drink (milk is standard in our house, so I am sure there will be apple juice all around) and who puts whom to bed. Then we will be taking votes on where to go for dinner. (Democracy at it's best because well... Mom doesn't feel like cooking and if I can incorporate my laziness into the election night all the better.) And last but not least, we will be graphing the votes for President (up until bedtime) with our daughter.

Call me cheesy, it's OK, I have been called worse, but I just feel like this moment shouldn't be cast aside. My daughter was 2 during the last election and will be 10 at the next one, so this is my chance to get her at least thinking about what this means. What are you doing for the election, if anything?

13 comments:

Nikki B. said...

cool idea...the kids voted at school today..for president and for their fave candy. lily's class' campaign slogan was..."be smart..vote for smarties" she was so excited about it. we'll watch tonight as a family.

Danielle (Life with the Hewitt Family) said...

It sounds like you have a fun night planned for your family. I like the idea of electing a President of the Household. Let us know how it goes!

K and/or K said...

I love the theme/game! You are a creative cheeseball.

Alicia said...

Wow! I'm so impressed!! that is very creative of you!! It sounds like a great night! As for us, we having nothing special planned. Just the same stuff over here! I can't wait to see pictures of your night though!

Kameron said...

That sounds awesome! I am holding on to my boy's babiness for dear life, but when he is old enough to understand I think I'll adopt your tradition, if you don't mind! We're just going to put the baby down to bed and watch the states turn blue or red until it's over!

He And Me + 3 said...

Our kids voted yesterday at their school. I think they really enjoyed that. I took the girls to the polls with me today. Then we went & got a free coffee from Starbucks. Your ideas were great! Good job!

Jean said...

Wow that's awesome getting the kids involved with their own election. I'm doing good just to stream live coverage on the laptop while the kids check in. They voted in their class as well.

Nicole said...

Very cool of you! I'm not that creative. Especially tonight. I had my 2 kids and the other one that I watch all day and they were all whiney as hell. I thought my ears were gonna bleed!

tollesons4him said...

What a cool idea love the placemat idea.

Mother Goose said...

you are so fun. we took our kiddos to vote too.

Jennifer, Playgroups Are No Place For Children said...

You're so creative. We didn't do anything except drink beer and watch election results. I mean, the kids didn't drink beer...just Tate and I.d

Katie said...

I think this was a totally fabulous idea. Nothing education mixed in with family fun. Nice job, mom!

Shan said...

What a great idea. Wish I had thought of it!