Monday, October 6, 2008

R.I.P. Glub Glub

Just a little word to the wise, do not get your goldfish care techniques from Elmo. He keeps that precious Dorothy in a cute little bowl where she looks so happy and merry, when really she's dying in her own ammonia producing water.

This is what I learned from a very serious and rude sales lady at my local Pet Smart. Being the proud owner of my first State Fair goldfish I promptly stuck his $2 butt in a beta bowl and thought I had just saved him from those awful fair people. That he was special now, that he had a name, Glub Glub. Little did I know that my little new addition to my family was in serious danger with my small tank (insert stern voice and evil eye from the sales lady as if I should have known better.) And in no way was she selling me another goldfish to be 'his friend.' Oh no, she scolds me for ever thinking of putting a goldfish in anything less than a 5 gallon tank and proceeds to tell my daughter that her goldfish will die very soon. Then directs her over to the beta fish and tells her to pick her favorite color. When she does the evil which sales lady then tells her that when her goldfish does die, she can come back and get that one.

I am pretty sure that lady has absolutely NO credits in early childhood in college. She has never been a babysitter or even an aunt, and certainly NOT a mother or she would have quickly rethought her tone and attitude in this extremely delicate matter. But on another note, she was totally right. The fish did die within a couple of days. So now I am thinking that Elmo is on like his 400th Dorothy because her tank looks just like the one I got for my poor sweet Glub Glub. (RIP)

19 comments:

Shannon (muzbeecrazy.com) said...

That Pet Smart lady needs a good whack in the face. I'm sorry but how ignorant she is talking to a child that way!
Elmo must replace Dorothy after every show. I wonder how the Pet Smart lady feels about that.

Burgh Baby said...

Yeah, I think Elmo goes through a zillion Dorothy fishies every year. They do need bigger tanks and filters, but dude, that lady could have been a wee bit nicer about it. Sheesh!

heidi said...

Awww! :-( RIP Glub Glub. :-( Seriously? Beta's are great. ANd the plus side is when they DO die? You can get another just like it.

Boot to saleslady's head.

tollesons4him said...

I agree with ya the PetSmart lady does need a good whack who tells a child that the fish is going to die? Good Grief!

Alicia said...

You are definitely a better woman than me because I would have most certainly gave Pet Store lady a good piece of my mind. How cruel!

~LL~ said...

I'm crackin' up! Great story....got here from tollesons4him. love the pics of you kids with the pumpkins.

Patrice said...

lol this cracks me up because I know all about the fish drama! It's the only pet we can have at school so several of my sorority sisters have gotten fish, and made the same mistake of putting them in a bowl and then figured out they weren't supposed to be in a bowl, and they needed special water, etc, etc. We've had some serious fish drama around here! lol But that saleslady sounds awful, geez!

Busymama Kellie said...

Poor Glub Glub. There must be something in the air. Our friend's son's school fair goldfish prize bought the big one today after only a couple days at home.

ParentingPink said...

LOL! Love this post - especially because I can really relate! We had to beta fish, Ernie & Bert. Needless to say, they didn't last more than 3 months. The Pet Smart guy was rather rude to me too. He acted like I knowingly killed them! Ugh, we haven't had any fish since. Good for you for getting more! LOL

Scarlet O'Kara said...

And did you scold her while your daughter ran off crying? I would have!

Nikki B. said...

Hey Heidi...it's Nikki Bullock (Bownds) from LHS. Found your blog through Kelly and love your stories. Wanted to say Hi! Check out my blog and you can catch up with our crazy life!
http://bullockpartyof5.blogspot.com/
Your kiddos are beautiful..they look EXACTLY like you!!!

heidi said...

Still haven't tackled anything yet, slacker? ;-) Move it.

GoteeMan said...

Apparently "Pet Smart" but "People Whow Work There Stupid"... I'm just sayin'...

J/ (goteeman.blogspot.com)

Keli said...

OMG! How rude and uncaring!! Seriously! What's wrong with people!! And poor Glub Glub!

JenLive! said...

Nice customer service! I'd totally complain to someone. Sounds like she had a dead Glub Glub up her butt.

Jill said...

Just stumbled (okay maybe fell)across your blog, and I LOVE your writing style and sense of humor! You crack me up!! Thanks!!

Michelle said...

Wow I can't believe the way she was talking to a child! Shame on her; and sorry the fish did die :(

Zip n Tizzy said...

Yes look closely... Dorothy is quite the chameleon... changing nearly every episode. Poor Glub Glub.
Your heart was in the right place.

Kelli @ writing the waves said...

Oh my gosh!!! I don't know how you kept your cool with that lady. wow...the guy we bought our fish from at PETSMART told us we could put 3-4 guppy fish in a 1 gallon aquarium. These people are not all on the same page. And 3 out of the 4 fish did die within @ 3 weeks. When my husband went back to replace the fish, the guy said there should never be more than 2 fish in a tank like that. And now this rude lady is saying 5 gallons? I'm more confused than ever...