Friday, October 17, 2008

Are you there, Penelope? It's me, Heidi.

So I am taking a spin off Playgroups are No Place for Children who took her spin off of Shamelessly Sassy. But you know, sometimes a spark just happens. The conversation turned to imaginary boyfriends. Well, I was not cool enough to have imaginary boyfriends. Oh no, I was not cool at all. In elementary school I was one of those weird kids. Daily my parents would take me to school and as I am getting out of the car my mother/father would yell, "Heidi, do you have your underwear on?" I would never skip a beat, just yell back, "No!" and slam the door and skip up to my class like my morning routine is now complete. *FYI my mother has asked me this question in the past 3 months. As if... I am too old for that now, but I am glad she didn't ask in college. (just kidding Mom!)

Anyway, back to my Alley Sheedy, Breakfast Club, kind of childhood. I wore a blue coat with fur around the collar every single day, all day long, even in the summer. And I sucked my thumb all day. So no, I did not feel worthy of an imaginary friend of my own. But don't feel bad for me, my sister let me play with hers. (Wasn't that sweet of her.) Her name was Penelope and I loved her so. Who doesn't like playing with their older sister's friends? I recall running around the round table playing chase, climbing trees, having tons of conversations outside. Oh, the fun we would have when I got to borrow her, but Penelope could never come to my room. No, she was Tracie's friend, not mine, I could only spend time with her when it was OK with my sister. But I didn't mind, any time with her was good for me. I loved that girl.

But one day, out of the blue, BOOM! all of the sudden Penelope was gone. My sister broke the news to me and I was devastated, Penelope moved away to live with her uncle. I never knew why and was hurt that she didn't even say goodbye. I still miss that girl.

After that I had to start wearing underwear, take off my coat and stop sucking my thumb. How else was I to get real or imaginary friends? And now look at me, tons a few imaginary Internet friends that I can talk to everyday and no one can take away. Take that Tracie!

14 comments:

Alicia said...

That is too funny!

tollesons4him said...

That was great, I never had imaginary friends or boyfriends that I recall. Maybe I did and I just drowned out that part of my childhood.
You've been tagged.

heidi said...

I heart my imaginary friends.

Sienna had a whole imaginary family. Maybe she should have seen a therapist? Dunno. Sheesha, Gahbop and Ownie. Yep.

Cara has Lisa. Lisa reappears from time to time when Cara is under a great amount of stress. It's my big ole "smack me in the face" clue that my little has had too much.

I didn't have one, but my little brother did. I tormented him endlessly. I would sit on his dumb friend and kick his dumb friend. I was a bully. *sigh*

Good grief..now *I* need therapy.

I'm just gonna go play with my imaginary friends, instead.

Keli said...

What a great story! Loved it! My son had an imaginary friend named Jerry. Jerry got blamed for EVERYTHING! I accidentally left Jerry at the grocery and my son was devastated. I had to go back and pretend Jerry was waiting by the door for us and jumped in when we pulled up! LOL!

Lana said...

I'm a new reader, and thought I'd say "HI!" I found your blog yesterday and have caught up reading your archives.
I didn't have any imaginary friends, but my daughter, who will be 3 in November, has a few. They don't have names, but she sings, dances and plays with them frequently. Oh yeah... She also YELLS at them when they don't do what she wants. They get a lot of time outs. They are the naughtiest little imaginary people around!

Heidi Zawisza said...

Ha!!! This totally cracked me up!!
And I second the TAKE THAT TRACIE......even though I don't know Tracie......but if I did......
basically, it just sounds really tough and cool, and well, I like to IMAGINE that I'm tough and cool......

Rebekah said...

LOL- you so funny

Jean said...

Not only did I suck my thumb until I was around 7, but I had a blanket and my imaginary friend was Bob Hope. I do believe that I never had a problem remembering my underwear...so you got me there.

GoteeMan said...

That was funny! Actually asked 3 months ago?!?!

Part of the reason it's so funny though to me - I knew a kid who used to have a habit as a young child of taking off panties in department stores and buring them (wet) in piles of new panties for sale... I was 2 years older and can still remember her pushing the door open to go out of JCPenney's, and her secret being revealed, and her mom dashing back to the children's dept in a desparate attempt to locate them... never found them...

J/ (goteeman.blogspot.com)

Heidi Zawisza said...

Tag! You're it! Check my blog for details!

jenyenc said...

And you think that I need Freud?!

Angela said...

yes thank goodness for blogging

Jennifer, Playgroups Are No Place For Children said...

Wow, you sure have a lot of readers named Heidi!

Very funny story, Ally Sheedy.

Mother Goose said...

too funny! and ummm...


yeah! BOOYAH!