Sunday, September 7, 2008

These are the Targets of our lives

So I went to Target (alone) tonight. I added the (alone) so that you understand that is the only way I would have been able to observe other people in the store. I am usually the observee - as in, "Is that lady killing that child or did he just cut his own hand off to make him scream like that?" That is my typical outing to Target. But this time, I got to be the observer. These are my finding dictated especially for those of you who rarely get that moment of people watching and not being watched.

* A couple print off a gift registry for friends who are getting married. After the guy sees the cool stuff that the groom registered for, he immediately asked the girl to marry him so he can get this,"cool crap too."
* Another man is telling his friends, rather loudly I might add, that he is thinking of getting a "Chinese mail order prostitute." What in the world?????
* Several small children with their parents shopping, happily! at 8:30pm. I actually WAITED until 8:30 to avoid my children going with me, and these people are smiling and playing with their kids past bedtime. Maybe I am the one doing it wrong.
*And last, but certainly not the least interesting, was the 20ish couple that were clearly hammered and holding onto each other for dear life. What in the world do you need at 8:30 at night when you are drunk? Don't they know where the nearest Taco Bell is, or at least in my day that is all we needed.

Am I getting older? the world changing? but I do not remember trips to the store being this intriguing when I was a kid. I got to get out more.

13 comments:

Jill said...

WTF? Call me judgmental... but seriously, kids should be in bed by 8:30 pm. Not roaming around Target.

Period.

End of rant.

The Laundress said...

Condoms. The drunks wanted condoms.

Wait. Would they be that responsible? They drove there drunk didn't they...and I don't remember ever thinking that clearly when...uhm...okay...bye.

Burgh Baby said...

Heh. That would be me, happily shopping with my kid at 8:30. If she were in bed at that hour, she would be up at 6:00, and I need her to sleep until 7:30. It works for us, so why fight it?

Jean said...

Taco Hell was for sure the place to go to help abosrb the alcohol. I never went to Target inebrieated.
It's so much more fun to go alone and "observe"

Busymama Kellie said...

Well, my question is why were they hammered at 8:30? Early start to the night huh? I personally don't reach that point until 9:00. :)

Scarlet O'Kara said...

I went to my local Target to people watch...but unfortunately, there were no freaks to observe. They must have all gone to your's.

Could you send them back when you are done? I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

Chuckie said...

oh lordie be. because i don't have kids, this is all i do - observe. you got some doozies though. i don't recall ever getting anything that interesting...ever. lucky you. good 2cu again. i wrote and wrote then went on vaca. am back now and hope to you see you again soon. *lovies*

JenLive! said...

I am so embarrassed that you saw me at target the other night...

I was drunk shopping with my boyfriend and playing with my kids while I was considering getting a ho from china while bridal shopping.

Next time warn me before you blog it to the whole world.

Thanks.

M said...

I wish I could go to Target with you. THAT is how much I love you. Target, just the two of us, that could possibly be Mommy's Night Out.

I'm pathetic. (But, hey, they DO have Starbucks.)

Angela said...

I would be the one in the store with my husband and two year old at 10 pm.

Donna said...

I miss Target, screaming kids and all. No Target in Beijing, where I live now. No Taco Bell, either. Though I imagine there are plenty of Chinese prostitutes.

Cheryl said...

I've worked at 2 different Targets for a total of 10 yrs. Your post sums up most of what I saw there. :-)

Tara@From Dawn Till Rusk said...

Oo oo I LOVE people watching. The best way to pass the time in the supermarket.
I was once in Tesco (a bit like WalMart) and there was a couple snogging AND THEY MUST HAVE BEEN IN THEIR 50S! I nearly crashed my shopping trolley I was staring so much