Monday, August 4, 2008

What's in a Name?

So I have struggled with something. To name or not to name my kids on my blog. I realize this is one of the most dire problems in life, it just keeps you up at night reading blogs, searching out advice, asking everyone in sight.

Some give their kids cutie petutie names such as: Princess, Lil Man, Bubba, Beatiful. I totally get that, and have used it somewhat in the past, but ehhh, it's just not for me. I mean, what if I pick the wrong name. Something that scars them for life when they read these posts. Like Chubby or Stinkhead. Oh, I can not be responsible for their therapy.... at least not over an adjective to describe them.
Others choice initials, but for me, that doesn't fit either... I think it's very smart not to have to type the whole name, and I'm lazy like that too, but I just can't relate to it as much.

And then there is just the use of different names all together. I struggle with that one. I couldn't even rename my cat when I got her. She lived with the name Sarah for 2 years before we got her, and even hating that name for a cat, I just couldn't change it. Instead I just added a middle name - Jane. (Basically just because my friend thought that was her name, not sure what she was smoking at the time to think that, but whatever.) What if I start calling my kids these names in real life, what if I write it on their paperwork at school or the Dr. and they are called this forever & then one day the social security office catches up with them & thinks they have an alias and they get put on some list or something? Then they could never fly again... Oh no, that's can't happen..

One thing I do know is I can not name them their real names. My husband has a total fear of something bad happening to them through this whole "big bad internet world." Like you are going to cyber steal them. Which I promise, you would return the smaller one in no time, so I'm not worried.

Well, I have come up with my own reference names for the kids.... are you ready? I know that you must just be on the edge of your seat to know the ficticious names of two children you have never met, how could you not be?

*Insert drum roll*

Bret & Penny - Tada! That's it. Aren't you so excited? I can tell you are.... It's much better than Hubby's suggestions: 1.) Dick & Jane 2.) Lenny & Squiggy 3.) Oscar & Meyer.

Now my question is, how did YOU come up with your names on your site?

Thanks David, for making this a post of the day, it really made my day!

22 comments:

Jill said...

I use my kids real names. When I started my blog it was just friends and family. I figured that you can find out just about anything on the internet - so if someone really wanted to know anyway, they could probably google it! Or for $9.95 buy a persons credit report online.

Tara@From Dawn Till Rusk said...

I too just use their real names. But I never reveal where I live and I also write under my maiden name. As Jill says, if someone wants to find you they pretty much can. Plus I'm rubbish at remembering names and the best of times, so changing them and trying to remember those too would just have me in knots!

Scarlet O'Kara said...

We use real names too...but don't give out last names or locations...

Chuck said...

As usual, sitting here about to fall our of my chair 'cause I'm laughing so hrd...can't type...still aughing...

Anyhoo, Brett & Penny. Hey, I don't think you're gonna go wrong with those names. it's just that they're kinda, well...you know. Boring :? I'm think'n I might need to side with your hubby a little on the lenny & squiggy kick -- 2 great comedic icons from the 70s....NOT! JK.

*lovies* *huggies* *smoochies*

Michelle said...

I use their real names, mostly because when I first started blogging it was for our family to keep up with us. I didn't make my blog "private" though and I also never realized I would "connect" with so many other bloggers! Plus I just never thought about using any other names, especially since I started it for family LOL
I got a chuckly out of Lenny and Squigg LOL

Jean said...

I guess I'm the odd ball with my "fake cutesie" names. I totally agree with everyone else the evil internets would figure out another way.
I actually thought about revealing their real names but everyone supposedly loves my cutesie names and felt they would be even more confused.
Gameboy Wonderboy and Bossyboy are all just what their personality is. I know very creative.

Miss Hope said...

Real names here. Well, for the most part. I don't mention the middle child by full name, just a shortened version. I call my son The Boy because it just fits him. Ergo, my hubby is The Man. Every once in a while I call them by name.

City Girl said...

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog :D I am so excited you just found it like that. Where did you link from?

Melanie said...

I use our real names because I'm quite easily confused.. so it's better that way. I don't ever use our last name though.

I also keep where we live private. I do not even mention the state we live in. If I did talk about where we lived then I would definitely have to come up with some different names. But, I have chosen to just keep my location private.

http://livinwithme.com

tollesons4him said...

I just use the first two letters of their name. I could have used their full names I am sure it is pretty easy to figue out what their names are. Thanks for visiting my blog.

JenLive! said...

I use the nick-names that I gave them shortly after their birth. They happen to be cutesie. I wasn't sure what to do when I started blogging, but most of the blogs I read used pseudonyms for their kids, so I skipped the research and just went that route. I also don't use our last name or my husbands first name, more b/c he's in the Navy and I think the anonymity is better for him.

dani c said...

I'm like you. I don't use my kids real names. I always had a fear that one of their teachers would read my blog and be like " OMG I know that kid, he has such a f*cked up family" or something along those lines. My names that I do use are their actual nick names. This is what they cal each other in real life so it was easy to remember/...

Rachel said...

Cute. I like the names. I use my kids' real life nicknames in the blog title and in the posts about them. It just works for us.
Thanks for clicking through!

Toni said...

I use our real names. I don't think I could have kept up with different names...

Enjoyed the post on your decision though!!!

david mcmahon said...

In reply to your WW post - kids NEVER sit still. I know. I have three.

My wife reckons she has four - the three kids PLUS me!

I use my real name on my blog.

hjtorbs said...

Hello nice to meet you too. Thanks to Midwest Mommy for sending you my way. I love this post. I can't tell you how long I sat and thought about what to call my kids so I abbreviate but when I show pictures it's a lot of work to delete their names. Hope you stop by again. Love your blog.

Louise said...

Over from Authorblog!

I laughed out loud when I read that I would return the smaller one in no time. That's excactly how it is in my house. No one would keep her more than 30 minutes. The whining alone...

My kids' internet names are nicknames we use for them in real life. It was a hard thing to come up with, however. I agonized over what to do!

Jules~ said...

I can totally relate. When I started blogging a little over a year ago, my girls were already in the waves of teen-hood so it wasn't so difficult for me. They already have major nicknames that the use with their friends. Between phone calls and friends visiting, I hear their real names so little that I find myself using their pretend names as well.

Congratulations on David's psot of the day.

Sus said...

ha! i actually loved the opportunity to rename my kids in a vacuum - no opinions from any one (husband) (parents) (friends) - no sounding awful with our last name - no mean kids rhyming them with bad 4-letter words. but i have accidentally called them by their fake names more than once.

Mommyto2 said...

I use real names but am considering changing that. not as an internet precaution, just to "protect the innocent" Someday they'll be able to read, lol.

Shan said...

I use their real names. In the beginning I was writing for friends and family. Who knew it would turn into more? Not that we don't have dozens of nicknames for each kid.

Cary said...

I'm so lame- I use their real names. And I even told everyone how easy it is to break into my home. I'm just asking for trouble, I know...