Sunday, August 31, 2008

To walk or not to walk

OK, question of the day: My friend just approached me to walk, (yes, walk, no running involved) in a mini marathon next May. I am debating: Here are the nitty gritty details so you can help me figure this out.

1. I am one of those people that goes to the gym 2-3 times a week, on a good week. Which means I haven't gone all summer. But I do go walking, um, sometimes.
2. I could certainly use the exercise and to lose a bit of weight. You know, that baby weight that has been hanging around for oh, 6 years.
3. I have 9 months to work on it and it may be great motivation. The biggest motivation is that if you go too slow, a bus will come pick you up. I promise, once I start I am NOT having a bus pick my sorry butt up because I couldn't hack it, that right there is enough reason for me to take it seriously and train. (that is if I decide to do it)
4. Great bonding with my friend while we train. There ain't nothing like two women who can't stop talking to get together for hours and walk it out.
5. I think it would be a wonderful role modeling moment for me to show my daughter, not to mention be really proud of myself.

But on the flip side:
TIME TIME TIME!

7 comments:

Jean said...

You should totally do it. Just think of the aweseome feeling you'll get when you finish.
Who knows, you might than set your goals to run next time. :)

Maggie, Dammit said...

Definitely do it. Nine months is plenty of time, if you follow a training program (there are tons of them on the web.) One of my best friends did a half marathon (running, no less!) after only four months of training, and she was not an athlete when she began.

You can do it!

Angela said...

You should so do it.

and hey there is always the bus

Pregalicious said...

do it, they have beer stations throughout!

p.s. just came across your blog on mom blogs and i love it!

Leah said...

Mmmm, tough one. I prefer to run them because then they are over with MUCH faster. Don't know if I would ever walk one...that would be torture. But the pro's look pretty good, I say go for it and good luck!!!

Michele said...

Just over a year ago I was exactly where you're at and I ended up running a half marathon in March. And something about exercise -- you think you don't have time, but once you start doing it, you realize you're much more energized and can get so much more accomplished throughout the day ... and feel less stressed. Go for it!

Michelle said...

If you can fit it in I say go for it!