Monday, August 11, 2008

The nightmare that was my night

There are some times you just shouldn't blog about your kids. I have read several posts that later come with retractions because mother's felt guilty after they blogged their child's "bad day." I know that I am falling into this category, but I am diving in. Blogging usually helps me clear my head.

Let's start at the beginning. Hubby just told me last week that he has to go out of town for a few day. (lucky me to have such a planner for a husband.) So I get a friend to babysit my little cherub of a 19 mo. old while I attend my daughter's 1st grade open house. (Yes, I am a planner) Well, my sweet friend forgets, (it's OK, happens to the best of us, I can't tell you how many times I forget these kind of things.) Not a big deal, and the only reason I am telling you this is so I don't read a comment stating that I should have left the kid at home. I tried, didn't work out.

So we go to open house... he starts screaming while I fill out paperwork, luckily I am prepared. I get a Target receipt out & a pencil, he's good to go for oh... 20 seconds. Then the screaming, pulling other kids' things off their desks and ruining their cute little star shaped pie tins full of candy. Not a huge problem, just switch it with my daughters. Problem diverted. Good for me. Then comes the loud screaming and other dads laughing. Thanks for that, it truly makes someone feel loads better when you just laugh. But it's OK, I have once again prepared. I whip out a baggie of Golden Grahams cereal and voila! Instant quiet. Now I make my way to the back of the room and this adorable, bubbly first grade teacher starts talking. And as she does so, she is staring straight at me. Probably because, a.) All the dads looked like they were bored out of their minds. b.) all the moms were either adjusting their cute kid's clothes and not paying attention, or reading the handout and not paying attention. I, however was paying attention. I love this stuff, being a teacher myself, I know exactly how she feels and I am going to give her my undivided attention. That is until....

The Child From Hell decides that he needs to perk up & destroy any bit of decorum I may have at that moment. He starts wailing at the top of his lungs. Not even an octive I have ever heard. He thrusts himself around in his stroller like he is being tazed, which if I had one, I may have just used it! So I go back to what worked before, distractions & food. No go! So I pick him up and he proceeds to pull hair, slap me and scream. All while the teacher is telling us all about report cards and homework. Mortified is the word of the moment. I take him outside the room where I feel that maybe, just maybe I can get a handle on him & go back, but no. Not a chance in hell. He is even worse out in the hall, if you can imagine. I try to put him in timeout and I swear other parents thought I was killing him. They were leaning out of the classroom looking, that is until I looked back at them and then they pretended like I wasn't there.

If only I was somewhere I could have just left, like the grocery store or the library. But no, my sweet daughter is intently listening to her teacher in her fabulous shoes and so proud of herself for being in 1st grade. And I find myself really resenting my son for robbing me of that moment. I tried to apologize to my daughter, thinking that must have embaressed her to death. Instead she just said,"Mom, that's what all babies do, he's just going to miss me because I am going to school tomorrow." Then I felt horrible for reacting the way I did, bawling my eyes out the whole ride home.

After many tears shed by both my child and I ,and the biggest timeout in history for a 1 year old, we got over it. He hugged me and even brought me his favorite toy as a peace offering. He went to bed perfectly, which has been a struggle the past few days. It must be the energy he expelled this evening. Now I know that tomorrow I am going to wish that I didn't write this. It's not funny, it's not interesting, it's just real. Sorry, this one is more for me to vent..... I promise to be witty and clever tomorrow.

12 comments:

Jean said...

You have every right to get this all out of your system and not feel guilty whatsoever. I can't even tell you how many times I've driven home in frustration and tears due to a tantrum screaming kid who's pulling my hair and yelling No at me.
Hugs to you and I know for sure you feel better getting this out and all will be well tomorrow.

Michelle said...

You're right - it is just real and there is nothing wrong with venting, getting it out, and telling it like it is! I can already tell that Lucas has a temper on him and I'm afraid he gave me a look into our future and there will be many tantrums like that coming from him LOL Hugs, we all go through it!

Angela said...

Some days are like that and they are just not easy.

Melanie said...

Don't feel guilty about this post at all. It's a real post about how you're feeling- that's how all of my favorite blogs are. Because it makes me realize how normal my thoughts and feelings are.

((((HUGS))))

http://livinwithme.com

Jill said...

I am so glad to read that I'm not alone!!! My 3.5 year old still has the most amazing temper tantrums! I am always apologizing for her behavior... and then mine after I scream at her through clenched teeth.

Brandy said...

You have my phone number!!!!!! Why didn't you call??????

Alicia said...

Vent away!! Keeping frustrations in only makes things worse. I think every mother who reads this post knows exactly how you feel. We have all been there at one point or another.

By the way, love the tazer idea! Wish I had thought of that! :)

Shauna said...

Hi! I just had to stop by your site - I saw the name of your page and I LOVE it!!! So cute.

Have a great day!

Bonnie said...

Vent away!! You should not feel guilty at all but I know how it is. I have th worst day with my 2.5 yr old twins and 5 yr old but once they get to sleep I feel so bad that I lost it once or twice.

Your luckty I wasn't blogging when the twins were little and I had a three year old...now that is some reality!

lol

Miss Hope said...

You are writing about my son. From the day he took his first steps at 8 months 3 days, he has been a whirlwind in my life. His 4K teacher said so kindly this morning that "he has...uh...lots of energy". I nodded and assured her that he has aged me more than the other two ever could. He acted like a Froot Loop at the daughter's 4th grade open house. I just wanted to come home and sit in the corner of the closet forever. I know.

Maggie, Dammit said...

Ohhh, I've been there. The difference is I'm never that prepared mom, the one with the bag of golden grahams.

And your 1st grader is one smart cookie.

This is a good place to vent. You didn't write anything that needs to be retracted. You wrote something that made lots of other parents feel less alone. That's a good thing.

Sus said...

It's SO real, which is why I for one appreciate it. Once you start this blogging stuff, it's hard not to write about moments like these. Don't you love when 5 year olds (or in my case 3 year olds) tell you to chill, it's just how babies are? :)