Monday, August 25, 2008

Theology ain't my thing

Over a nutritious meal of McDonald's, (hey, don't judge me) my daughter and I somehow get on the subject of Adam & Eve. (background: Last week I was explaining that she was starting Sunday school the next day & filled her head with the few Bible stories that I know. That subject always scares me, just because I am scared that she's going to ask me questions that I can not answer, but the night was successful, she was excited and I had built up my confidence in the fact that I could teach her a thing or two.)

So back to the Garden of Eden. In telling her the story of creation, her eyes get huge, worried that Adam is running around somewhere today with a rib missing. (Oh crap, this isn't going well at all, but we are in the thick of it, surely I can just move on without any more dramas.) Well, the fact that a woman can talk to a snake just added a whole element I was not expecting. How in the world do you explain it? Her response was precious, holding her hands out she says "Who are you going to listen to? God (putting one hand out) or a snake, (the other hand) That's so dumb, who would pick the snake?"

Then it was, "Well, Adam didn't do anything wrong, it was all that lady's fault, what was she thinking?" I found myself stammering all over the place, wishing there was some sort of theological hot line I could call. 1-800-G-O-D-H-E-L-P. So then she asks if they are still alive, um, no... well, why are we talking about them then? (My thoughts exactly, let's get back to talking about our Star Wars Action Figures from McDonalds.)

But then she just keeps going on & on and all I could do was go get my Bible and start reading. (That did NOT clear things up for a 6 year old, but it did get her mind off of the story and onto all the things I have placed in my Bible over the years.) She then asked, "Did you put all this stuff in here millions of years ago, like when you were a kid?" Me, "Yes, millions of years ago that was my childhood." I swear!!!!

10 comments:

themommykelly said...

Yes, as straight forward as the story may be it doesn't always make sense. Isn't it funny how we take things for granted, but when it comes to actually having to shake and break things down to childlike mentality, it doesn't seem so simple anymore!

Hang in there, Mama. Theology ain't easy.

Stacie said...

I'm feeling those millions, lemme tell ya!

Petula said...

I love her response to the listen to God or snack part. And, I could definitely use that hotline too... I have a few questions of my own! :D

tollesons4him said...

It is so hard to answer some of the questions so that a child can understand them. I am a grownup and I still don't know all of those answers.

M said...

Oh my. I love how you picked McDonald's for this conversation.

Last week I got to explain to a group of 3-6 yr olds (1) why God let's people go to hell (2) what is hell? and (3) I thought God loves us all.

I wanted to start throwing big words at them and then tell them time was up, good-bye, like my Theology profs used to do.

Chuck said...

Thx for saying hello. I'm so glad I came over here too 'cause I have tears in my eyes and am lol. You always brighten up my day. I'll see you again soon. *lovies*

Miss Hope said...

Wait until your teenager comes home all excited because they're having an oldies day at school and can she, like, go in your closet? Because the theme is the 80's!!! I did not find that amusing at all and totally refused to let her borrow my jeans with the pink pin stripes I've been hanging onto.

Tuesday Girl said...

Yikes!

Jill said...

I just purchased the children's bible stories for this very reason...

Good luck!

Sus said...

I taught Bible School for the first time this year and had a major theological crisis as a result. This stuff is hard!