Friday, August 1, 2008

10 years and still going...




Volleyball game, brown shirt, brown & yellow check skirt, permed hair, and fresh out of braces. That's me on a September night 1991. I had just met the man I was to spend the rest of my life with. At the time I didn't know that, what I did know, was that there was something that moved inside of me when I saw him. Something I had never experienced before (I shouldn't have, I was only 15) but something I have never experienced with anyone else since. Our first conversation went like this exactly:

I am sitting there watching the game with my friends when I look up and see this skinny cowboy holding his chest. Never met the guy in my life and I was a terribly shy person, but I just had to talk to him.
Me: Oh, is your heart broken?
Him: No, it's breast cancer.


And that was it... Love at first sight. No it wasn't the romantic sweep you off your feet kind of meeting, it was us.. from the beginning that's exactly how we are, exactly how I like it, just real with a sense of humor in between. After that night it was dates in his broken down van that didn't go in reverse, the Army which made us states away from each other, different colleges, stumbling through growing up and allowing each other to do what we had to do to get us to come full circle back to each other. But we made it. 7 years after that first meeting, several break ups in between, and lots of tears, he asked for my parents permission to marry their daughter. And we have stumbled through this marriage thing for 10 years. Life throws a lot of curve balls, death, moves, lack of finances, stressful jobs, but through it all my best friend has been there to make me laugh, to listen to me and to tell me to "pull myself up by my bootstraps," when I need it.

Thank you honey, there has never been a day that I didn't want you by my side, except for maybe that day you poured water on my head at that wedding shower, that day I wanted you far far away.

14 comments:

Tara@From Dawn Till Rusk said...

Congratulations! Are you sure that photo is 10 years ago? It's not remotely embarassing . . .

Heidi said...

Oh gosh no, that's not 10 years ago. I wouldn't dare put that up for the world to see. This was a recent photo.

Mommy Daisy said...

Happy Anniversary! Doing anthing special for the big 10?

Jean said...

Cograts! Sweet post! I got that same funny feeling when I met my hubs.

Bonnie said...

Reaching 10 years is wonderful.

I would love to see a pic from the past!

Chuck said...

Awwww - I have a little tear in my eye...How cool is this!

Now. Come get a celebratory gift. You can give it to your hubby *group hug*

It's here: Perfect Blend of Friendship

Just so you know, I appreciate you stopping by and visiting me. It means tons - hence, the gift.

Melanie said...

Happy Anniversary! What a sweet post!

http://livinwithme.com

Jill said...

Happy Happy Anniversary! What a great photo!

Hope you're well. :)

Melissa said...

Happy Anniversary!!

Miss Hope said...

Hope your Anniversary is wonderful! I marvel at how after seven years, I still like my own hubby. That's saying a lot!

You are a great example!!!

Maggie, Dammit said...

Congratulations! Mine was the very next day.

Love the story.

JenLive! said...

Happy, Happy Anniversary!

Alicia said...

Happy Anniversary!! Sounds like you've got yourself quite a catch!!

By the way, I've tagged you!

Sus said...

thank you so much for the last phrase. I might have had to stop reading you because you were such a good loving person if you hadn't just once wanted your husband to be far away. :)