Monday, July 14, 2008

You, Me and Potty Makes Three (An Ode to my Mother)

When I was young, I knew exactly when to talk to my mom, whenever I saw her heading for the bathroom. It was nothing for her to have my sisters and I crowded around the door talking her ear off. Why did we do this, it's not like she was unavailable every other time of the day. Yeah, she worked, but she was a teacher and often got home soon after we did, she wasn't on the phone all the time, we sat as a family for dinner, so why, why, did we feel the need to capture that poor woman like a caged animal?

I am thinking of asking my children this question. I, for one, can not see the logic in it anymore, and am too old to recall the reason for doing this. But my kids... oh my kids.... have stumbled upon that little secret of Mommy Trapping like no body's business. They are there every time I turn around to pee, which like my mother, is often. How can they not talk to me for an hour, but when they see me headed that way, they instantly have the most dire need to chat? I am thinking of enforcing a "It's my potty and I'll shut the door if I want to" rule. I have no doubt that it will be a mute effort, but I am willing to try anything to get those darn kids to leave me & my throne alone just once.

6 comments:

American in Norway said...

so funny... i did the same to my mother, now my kids now do it to me. They trap you on the pot where there is no escape... Thanks for popping by my blog.. nice to "meet" you

Jean said...

I never could understand why my mother didn't seem amused when I'd make conversation through the bathroom door..paybacks are h*ll. I not only get visits from the boys (the downstairs bathroom is a acordian door and doesn't lock) I also get the dog nudging open the door to "visit".

dani c said...

Ah, the potty chats, got to love em.....and as always you're one of my favorites..

Kellan said...

I guess ALL kids do this - it is crazy! I too - don't know exactly why?!?

Thanks for coming by today - so nice to see you. See you soon - Kellan

Danielle (Life with the Hewitt Family) said...

Me and my sisters did this to my mom and know I know what she felt like...great post!

Busymama Kellie said...

Yes, I now understand the torment I put upon my mother. I even used to insist that I sit on her lap while she did her business! Of course, payback always comes around...