Sunday, July 6, 2008

Won't You Be My Neighbor

I'm Back! Yes, we did make it through our HUGE trip across country, and survived.... Lots to tell on that, but we will start with the here & now. I get home last night around 5:30, tired, smelly, and just ready for bed, when.. Ding Dong. The doorbell rings. WTF! It's my brand new neighbor whom I have never met before holding my mail. Not just any mail, but my "major" credit card bill. That one that you don't want your husband to see, let alone let it be your first impression to your neighbor. (Embaressment #1) She goes on to explains that her husband accidentally opened it and first yelled at her for the charges and then assumed someone stole their card and was running up a bunch of charges before realizing it's not their bill. (Embaressment #2) I am standing in a pile of clothes, toys, and yuck that collects after a trip, not to mention my unwashed hair, stained shirt and run off makeup trying to smile and listen to this sweet person talk. (Embaressment #3) As she is going on all happy & chipper, my son, who is covered in tomato soup and shirtless, is throwing legos and balls at this lady, and with his amazing aim, is hitting her every time. I could only hope for the ground to swallow me up, or at least my husband to come rescue me from the horrific scene, but oh no, he's sitting in the living room hiding, and listening to the whole thing. If I was only as smart as he was, I too, could have just hid in the living room and not have given the absolute worst impression ever.

9 comments:

Jill said...

Well welcome home... your neighbor clearly rolled out the red carpet for your arrival!

dani c said...

Oh hell with the crazy annoying neighbors. That's what she gets by not minding here business and showing up unexpected. I say, you should just have your son throw lego's and balls and stuff over the fence every time he sees her. I bet that'll be the last time she opens up your mail again.

andria said...

Number one:

I bet she opened that on purpose and it wasn't a mistake.

Number two:

Where were her kids? Does she not watch her kids?

She clearly is the one who should be embarrassed.

My oldest son, used to living in a cul-de-sac where the neighbors sleep until noon, ran outdoors and down the street in only his underwear last week. That was a sight for all the new neighbors we haven't met yet.

Serial Mommy said...

wow, don't people pay attention to WHO their mail is addressed to any more? I've lived in this house for a year now, and I still get mail for the people who used to live here. If it looks important, I put "return to sender, does not reside" on it, if it's just junk, it gets tossed. I'm not going to read their stuff. Seems your neighbor should be the embaressed one for the HUGE invasion of privacy. And as far as the house goes, let her think what she wants, she doesn't have to live there.

Heidi said...

I love when you guys make me feel better!!!

Ariel said...

oh wow... Sorry about that... Embarrassing!

JenLive! said...

LOL!
Maybe you scared her off. Though, if it were me at your front door, I'd be very relieved and encouraged by the fact that I'm not the only one who's not Donna Reedesque.

ohhollyf said...

We had an incorrect lawyer bill sent to us, and hubby and I started arguing, then figured out it wasn't ours, shoooooo! ;)

M said...

Jason is cracking up about the fact that you are using an acronym of profanity. WTF, Heidi!?!