Thursday, July 10, 2008

A Lost Sole's Soul

This is something that has just been irking me for a while... Shoes in the road. How in the freaking world do people's shoes land out in the middle of the street? And it's always one shoe. Are there people walking around with just one penny loafer on? Are the shoes looking for the missing socks from the dryer? What happened to these poor souls that get left out in the middle of nowhere, never to return to their mate? I am concerned for the homeless sole's soul. And even more interested in it's story. Don't you think there is a story there??? I mean, I have never accidentally lost a shoe on a drive to the grocery store. If my husband comes home from work one day with one shoe on, I am going to ask questions, it just has to be interesting. I just want to be the "shoe whisperer" and pick it up and have this vision of how and why it got there.... So I have decided to take my questions to the public... What do you think? What happened to these poor shoes? And have you ever wondered about them, or am I the only one that spots them. Keep your eyes peeled if you haven't seen them, they are there. OK, enough rambling. I want to hear your thoughts. I have my penny ready.

11 comments:

Jill said...

You know - I see them all the time too... middle of the road, the freeway, side of the road.

One thought could be that a small child picked it up off the floor or on the seat of the car, held out the window, and dropped it.

Just a thought...

World's Greatest Mommy said...

I see them too. But I have experience as the mother of a child who used to take delight in throwing his shoes out the window of the car when I was distracted.

I've retraced my steps to find shoes, too many times.

The Apron Queen said...

The shoe fairy puts them there.

For your daily dose of vintage goodness & a bit of silliness, stop by Confessions of an Apron Queen

Scarlet O'Kara said...

See those singleton shoes all the time...as well as the pairs of shoes hanging over the roadside wires. What is up with those?

I do have to say that I did lose a bag of shoes during a family vacation one year. Those shoes slowly fell out of a ripped roof top luggage carrier. When I arrived at our destination, I only had the shoes on my feet.

I just hated goes shoe shopping...not!

Big Hair Envy said...

They are put there by the same person that throws a pair of shoes, laces knotted, up on the power lines. How many times do you think it takes to get those shoes to straddle the power line?

Sorry. I hope I didn't give you one more question to keep you up at night :)

Well Behaved Krissy said...

I wonder this ALL THE TIME!!!! Thats so funny. Or just ONE SOCK in the middle of the road??? How the heck do you lose ONE SOCK?

Petula Wright said...

LOL! You are so funny! I have wondered the exact same thing. I like that: sole whisperer. Maybe we can start an investigative service! HA! I've pictured people running from dogs and losing one shoe or running to the bus and losing a shoe... maybe they don't notice. Maybe the shoes escaped from a backpack... could of been an abused shoe! See, you've got me started! LOL

Jean said...

You have totally made me recall a story about hubs shoes.
It's a really convulated story but in the end he had to call a taxi to take him to Wal-mart at midnight with no shoes on to buy shoes.

Yes, Yes I do see one lost sole a lot. What is up with that? Maybe when I get to heaven that will be one of my first questions. LOL

Alicia said...

Maybe the shoes didn't like the feet and they jumped?

Sorry. I've only had one cup of coffee. This is the best I can come up with.

M said...

My question is: If the tread on our tires is constantly wearing out, why isn't the side of the road completely covered in rubber? With, of course, the lonely shoes.

But, seriously, where does all that rubber go?

Cary said...

So true!