Monday, June 16, 2008

No Whine, but Wine

Hallelujah! I have found the promise land. I have finally figured out the answer to "I'm Bored." My daughter got out of school 2 weeks ago, and intermittently when she is between playdates and movies I hear those two horrible, ear piercing, want to beat my head against a wall words. This morning I have just had it. Not the, "oh, I wish I could find a quiet place to take a break had it", but the, "I am going to sneak into the garage with a bottle of wine and not come back until I am seeing double," had it! And then Divine intervention. The idea popped into my head to give her chores. This is how it goes:
Child: I'm Bored
Me: OK, you have a job then, go water the plants, here's a cup, fill it 4 times.
Now go.
Child: Done, Now I am still bored.
Me: Wonderful, the stairs need dusting. Here's the duster, get busy. And if you
tell me you are bored again, there's a nice Windex bottle calling your name.

So now every time she says it, I am not going to go for the Merlot, but yet, smile and take one more chore off my own hands. I love being the mommy.

6 comments:

Jill said...

I love the idea... Though who ever said you couldn't have a glass of wine while you watch your daughter wash the windows... Just a thought.

Chuck said...

HA That's what my boyfriend said he did with his kids when they were growing up. But, I'm think'n the Merlot is ok intermittently...you know, like during naptime. Then you can nappy nappy too ;)

*lovies*

Serial Mommy said...

HAHAHA!!! That's EXACTLY what I do with my kids! They learn at a YOUNG YOUNG age to never say that to me. I have found very odd and unusual things for them to do. When my son is suspended from school (which happens much more often than I would like) he also becomes my manual labor guy. He's been known to mop the kitchen floor three times in a night because he slacked on it the first two times.

Leah said...

Nice work! Can I use that on my 4 year old too?

My friend makes her kids dust the baseboards and clean all the doorknobs in the house w/ Lysol wipes when they are bored. You can add those to your repertoire.

Jenny Live & In Color said...

I do this, too. Though I like the addition of the alcoholic beverage. I may have to try that. It really is good being the mother, sometimes ;)

Melanie said...

What a fabulous idea! I will definitely be using that!

http://livinwithme.com