Monday, June 9, 2008

Mamma needs her fix




I need my coffee. I mean, I am the cartoon character with the frazzled hair and bugged out eyes until I get some. My family, on the other hand, has other plans for me in the morning, which I do not appreciate. These are the steps I had to take, just to get my fix this morning.

6:20am dear hubby wakes me up to re bandage stitches. (Not sure I even got it on the right place, I could have just put antibiotic and a band aid on a freckle, but what do you expect at that time of day from a girl without her contacts)

So then I decide to shower, because seriously, I would have to wait until 10:30 when the baby naps to get it done. But oh, I am out and now I can go get some of that glorious coffee. But wait, what do I hear, but the baby crying. Flippin Fantastic! OK, throw on clothes, thinking I will grab the little screamer & that delicious beverage will be mine. Uh, no. Stumble over the 5 year old in the hall. "Mommy, you want to play with me for a while." Inside my head, " Hell no, I want to go get my fix, I want you to go back to bed, I want your brother to stop screaming." Outside my head: "Oh, honey, let me get your brother right now and I promise I will play with you this morning sometime." So I go get the little curtain climber and change the diaper that is holding the Atlantic Ocean in it, got to love Huggies, no leaks.

I then decide to take the dirty laundry downstairs, because it really is much easier without hurling a baby gate like OJ Simpson in an airlines commercial. Put Little Man in the highchair, and proceed to cut up fruit salad for him, yeah, cut up fruit salad, why can't he just eat Cheerios like the rest of the children in the world. All the while I can now see the coffee maker and smell it's wonderful aroma. Oh, the torture! I get him settled with milk and fruit, decide to put on a load of laundry, looks like that job is going to take all day, and the sweet cherub of a daughter wants chocolate milk. I sigh, look at the coffee, and start to whimper. Any rational human being would just say, "Hang on, I am going to get my drink and then I will get yours," but that rational human being must like cold coffee, because if I get mine then finish everything, that's exactly what it would be. So I get the chocolate milk, and finally reach for a coffee mug, huge smile on my face. Then she asks in the sweetest voice, if she can please have it in the cup with the straw. UGGG! So I tear my hand away from the coffee mug, fix her drink in the right cup, and now she wants a movie on. We have to search for the movie case, but at last, it's done. Everyone is happy, including Mommy.

I grab my coffee and head to the computer. I enjoy two sips of it before writing this post, and then realize that it has gone cold during my griping session to you. Go figure, I am my own worst enemy. So I will go now to refill my mug of that delicious, life saving addiction, and come back to read about your day on your sites.

8 comments:

Pam said...

well, I don't drink coffee- but you just told my life story about getting a cup of tea- going to the bathroom- taking a shower or whatever else it might be! I loved this post! Thanks for your kind words on my blog today!

M said...

Hmm...that explains a lot about our recent trip. That gas station coffee just didn't do the job!

Maggie, Dammit said...

This is why I keep all food below three feet. It's every man for himself in my house, especially when coffee is involved.

You're a better mom than I, dear.

Jenny, the Bloggess said...

See this is why I go straight for the frozen coffee. It's never going to get too cold.

my4kids said...

First thank you for your comment on my blog. I do appreciate the people who commented on that post. I hope to get something more fun up today or tomorrow.
I remember when my kids were little like yours and trying to get to that cup of coffee! Man....who am I kidding? my kids are 7,9,11 and 13 and my mornings are still crazy like that!

Jill said...

Oh I can't function w/o my daily cappuccino... several in fact. I usually wake up, turn on the machine, and while making breakfast for the kidlets, pop out my first one. I always take my cup up to my room to read e-mail after preschool drop-off.. I can't read w/o it!

My in-laws don't have a machine here... so I'm making Starbucks runs every day. Quite a pricey habit.

Chuck said...

Oh. My. Gosh. SEriously now. How you go that long w/out it is beyond me. It's almost 5pm here and I'm still drinking it, so I relate. The cat pic is killer kute too!!

Hope you're having a better day than your morning too...I have stuff to give away if ya wanna come and play. *huggies* and sorry it's been so long since I've dropped by.

~TAMY 3 Sides of Crazy~ said...

OMG - thank you for that great chuckle first thing this morning as I'm having my coffee. I am soooooooooooo you! Can't have cold coffee, MUST have coffee... I have to have 'my' cup though. It doesn't taste right without the right cup. http://www.3sidesofcrazy.com/2008/02/starbucks-krispy-kreme-coffee.html