Thursday, June 5, 2008

The kids are going naked!

Who makes up these stupid clothing sizes for kids. Where do they get that all kids 6mo. old have a certain shoe or sock size? Could you just all put a number on clothes, not a size you think my child "should be" at that age. I am damned if I do and damned if I don't when it comes to buying clothes for my little herd.

I decide to slip away last weekend and go shopping by myself, yeah, you heard right, by myself! And it wasn't even my birthday or mother's day. Crazy, huh? So who do I shop for, the kids of course, I couldn't go that far into selfishness to actually shop for myself. (Well, I probably could, and enjoy it very much, but on this particular day, I did not.) And it's the beginning of the season so you know they have outgrown everything and you have no idea what size the actually are. So I guess, My daughter is 5 years old and the clothes say 5, it should work, right? . WRONG. I bring them home & have miss priss try them on. First pair of shorts: Too big, in fact, so big they fall off, literally. Second, a skirt: Um can we say hoochie mama! No thank you, I am even going to go there. Third pair of shorts: Ghetto booty, which she doesn't even have without those shorts on, I swear they had butt implants stuck in them. So I did the only thing I could do. I pack the clothes back up and take the kids to the mall with me. Yeah, you heard that right too, we all went to the mall to try on clothes. I personally, would rather have been struck by lightning, but it was a clear and sunny day, so off we went.

Have you ever tried to go shopping with godzilla? My son's arms turn into Stretch Armstrong when we get into a clothing store. He can have a shelf of clothes off and onto the floor before I can say Boo. And the sales people smile that,"Lady, hurry up and get your shit done so you can get out of my store," smile on their faces. That I politely return with my, "Shut the hell up I am trying here,it's either this or they go naked," smile on my face. So with Stretch in the stroller and Princess, I have to touch everything,can we get something to eat, are we done yet, walking beside me, off we go. Where I spend the day picking up a trail of cherrios a mile long and begging my daughter to just try on one more outfit.(Knowing full well it's actually like 6 more outfits) But she does it, with the promise of Dipping Dots before we leave. And after a gazillion stores, we finally find clothes that work. Turns out that she wasn't a 5 at all. She is a 4 shorts and a 6 top. Go figure. I can't wait to try to figure out bra sizes with her in another 8 years. I think I will just go drunk next time and see how that works out.

Now nothing would make me feel better than to hear someone else's horror stories of shopping with little darlings, so fess up.

8 comments:

M said...

If it makes you feel any better, the last time I shopped without C, I came home with a shirt whose stripes were apparently too close together. Thus rendering it unwearable.

My advice, divide and conquer. Leave Stretch at home with dad!

Melanie said...

I have a "Stretch" too! She pulls things off shelves and off hangers and screams because she wants to eat the tags on the clothes.

I figure out the clothes sizes at home and then go shopping. Once you know the sizes they need you don't have to take them.

http://livinwithme.com

Jill said...

When we're back in the States I power shop like there's no tomorrow. My girls HATE going with me because I make them try everything on...

My 5 year old is skinny as can be - and she needs the slim pants... but as you know not all slim pants fit the same. The 3 year old is solid - and not all clothes look good on solid frames.

To make life easier, I sometimes buy items in 2 different sizes and bring them home with me... and make them suffer in the privacy of our own home. Child protective services doesn't hear them here either....

Leah said...

Oh, I can so relate! My 4 year old is TALL and SKINNY...no one makes clothes that fit her. She loves dresses and I have to get her a 6 just do it is long enough. Then of course it gapes everywhere else. I usually only shop for the kids when my mom is in town because then of course she buys - and the kids will do anything for Mimi!

1stopmom said...

I can definitely relate with you on this subject. If the clothes are not horribly inappropiate then they do not fit at all. It is so hard because sizes are not the same everywhere. My son is super skinny and tall for his age. My 5 year old only wears what is in fashion and of course I do not know what that is. My 10 year old does not like anything I ever buy. Sometimes I just buy outfits in different sizes and let them try it on at home. If I don't we will be at the store forever!

Kelli said...

I was laughing out loud at your post. I completely feel your pain! I cannot even explain how much I loathe taking the kids shopping! They hate it too, especially my son (he's almost 2). We literally walk thru the doors of a store and he starts to freak out. I'm fully equipped with fruit snacks, goldfish, juice boxes...nothing helps. He just wants out of that stroller!
One shopping trip was so crazy that I wrote a little "diddy" about it on my blog a while ago - "The Shoe-Shoppin' Blues". Check out this link -
http://tippytoes76.blogspot.com/2008/04/shoe-shoppin-blues.html

(it's under my April posts in case it doesn't come up for ya.)

Jenny is Live & In Color said...

I've blocked all such memories from my conscious awareness due to their traumatic nature.

Michelle said...

I know what you mean! It's hard to go shopping for Kayla too...and of course different manufacturer's make sizes fit differently (just like for us). When I buy PJs for Kayla the tops fit, but the bottoms are always so long, and usually the waist doesnt' fit either because she has no hips or butt!