Sunday, May 11, 2008

Unconventional Mother's Day

My Mother's Day wasn't your typical day. If you have asked me if I wanted to spend my Mother's Day riding 11 hours in a small SUV with my husband & kids on the way home from a 2,000 mile trip to a funeral 5 states away, I am confident that my answer would be H-e-double hockey sticks, NO! But then again, sometimes those things are what make you realize how wonderful it can be. Now I am, sad to say, one of those people who loves presents. I write lists, I give hints, I count down the days. But this year is different. My huband's grandmother passes away earlier this week, so we spend the better part of our week in the car, 20 hours each way to be exact. So I am thinking Mother's Day is just shot, but when we get in the car at 6:30am , my daughter screams "Happy Mother's Day, Mommy. You are the best Mommy in the world!" No kidding, she really said it, no one told her to or anything. (that's the best part.) Then at a rest area, she apologized for going potty first, since it's Mother's Day, I should go first.(Adorable right?) And the sweetest thing was that she had made me something at school for Mother's Day and hid it all week under her seat in the car. And as we sat at the gas station today she pulled it out, beaming like she had just done the most amazing thing. And to me, it was.

She had painted a rock to look like a ladybug. (Minus one eye, but that's what makes it unique, who has a ladybug rock with one eye?) I don't think I could have asked for more, not even the earrings I was hoping for (although if my husband reads this, the baby still didn't give me anything, so if you want to make up for him, I won't mind.) But the effort and love she put into that gift made this really stressful day the best Mother's Day ever.

2 comments:

Burgh Baby's Mom said...

She let you use the bathroom first? Now that's true love!

Happy (belated) Mom's Day!

Lisa said...

You just can't beat a one-eyed Ladybug....